Skip to main content

Dawn's Embrace

In this episode - Dawn’s Embrace . . .

 

In the quiet hours before dawn breaks,
The darkness whispers, and my spirit wakes.

For in my hands, tomorrow lies—
A chance to reach,
to strive, to rise.

With steady focus, I find my way,

Turning each task into light for the day.

Not every path is smooth or clear,
Yet I push forward, shedding fear.

Life may bring disappointments, it's true.
My dreams are mine, and I'll see them through.
My attitude is my own to steer,
and No One else shapes the hope I hold dear.

So I start each morning with a heart alight,
Embracing dawn’s gentle, hopeful sight.
For love, for dreams, I’ll build and grow,
Sharing this warmth with all I know.

In each sunrise, I find the key—
The dawn of hope that lives in me.

 . . . Welcome to this week's episode of On The Fly. The previous poem was written the day after the election results. Yes, we’ve made it through another presidential election cycle.

Everyone at work was gloomy, angry, frustrated, and could not understand the logic. You may or may not be excited about the result or what's predicted to come. I heard comments like, “We’re in for DARK times.” Admittedly, this was my first year deeply involved in the frantic play of politics. I discovered that the media coverage fueled unrealistic predictions, rhetoric, name-calling, and built-up hate. Bombarded into your phone, social media, TV, radio, and the people around you continued to fuel the fire.

I had to step back and remind myself it's not healthy or productive to get so emotionally involved. Why not? Because as I’ve written about in many of my blog posts as a reminder, “You get what you look for.”

This week, I revisited the archives and listened to my self-affirmations, reminding myself that our choices shape our lives. 

Remember, “You will become what you think about.” My friends, the thoughts you nurture are your responsibility. It might be challenging to grasp this concept now, but it remains a universal truth: “We become what we think about.” 

Therefore, I’m taking a break from the news, dedicating time to my guitar, diving into uplifting literature, enjoying dinner with my beloved wife, and simply allowing myself to live without the distractions and pressures from outside forces that often overwhelm us and bring us down.

As Dr. Schuller once said, ”Today’s accomplishments were yesterday's impossibilities.”


So, my friends, let's take a deep breath. Let's choose peace and joy and focus on the good. Let's choose to be the change we wish to see. Remember, every day is a new beginning. Every sunrise offers a chance to start fresh. Let's fill our minds with positivity, kindness, and hope. Let's inspire others to do the same.


Three simple action steps will have a powerful impact:

Let's use this time to recharge, refocus, and emerge stronger than ever. Together, we can create a brighter future.

The power to change the world starts within you.

I’m Patrick Ball; thanks so much for listening; see you in the next episode.

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Patrick - this is one of the best published articles I've read to help us strugglers who wish to 'loyal' opposition people. And the beginning poem is superb and puts you in the catag0ry of OUTSTANDING POET AND AUTHOR!!! your friend Don Hanley

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...