Skip to main content

Calm Your Mind

In this episode – Calm Your Mind . . .

Do you often find it hard to fall asleep because your mind is preoccupied with the tasks you must complete at work, chores you might have forgotten to do around the house, or a missed phone call? In other words, how can one calm their mind and find peace?


Chapter two of The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale is titled "A Peaceful Mind Generates Power.” In this chapter, Peale stresses the value of clearing your mind of all thoughts and how it can help us face life's challenges. He offers several techniques to cultivate inner calmness and tranquility, including prayer, meditation, and affirmations.


In this chapter, the author suggests a technique to cultivate inner peace by taking a few moments at different times throughout the day to focus on a carefully curated set of serene thoughts. As I studied this chapter, a particular section caught my attention and made me reflect on an experience where I felt a profound peace.

Dr. Peal recommends finding a place of complete silence and visualizing the most peaceful scene you have ever witnessed, such as a breathtaking valley during the tranquil hours of dusk as the sun slowly sets and the shadows lengthen. This practice can help to evoke a sense of tranquility and calmness within you. As I read his description, a vivid memory flooded back to me instantly, and it was beyond anything I could have expected. I was filled with calm. Allow me to explain.


I’m an early riser; up by 4:30 a.m., wildness camping in the high Sierra, complete silence, and it’s dark! Carefully with my headlamp, stumbling around camp, I light my WisperLite camp stove, boil some water, make coffee, and sit quietly on a ridge next to the lake in the darkness, illuminated by millions of stars twinkling like diamonds in the night sky.


At that moment, our campsite was extraordinary, with no wind, on the north side of the crystal clear, absolutely mirrored lake. I was perched on a large rock that protruded outwards and gazed down at the lake. I was amazed that all the stars above were reflected in the water. Standing up, I walked carefully towards the edge, holding onto a tree to steady myself. For a moment, I lost my sense of orientation and felt like I was floating in space. I couldn't tell whether I was looking up or down. It was an incredible experience!


So, I asked myself, how can I recreate that scene in my mind's eye on demand? Step one – put on noise-reduction headphones, then close my eyes in the silence, and imagine that scene again, experiencing the absolute serenity of that moment.


It was Napoleon Hill who said, " What the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."


My listening friends, take a few minutes daily to find a quiet place and clear your mind. Search for an experience that brings you peace and allows you to calm your thoughts.


I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...