Skip to main content

Unexpected Encounter

In this episode, Unexpected Encounter . . .

Life presents peculiar twists that make us ponder the universe’s mysteries. Last week, I found an unexpected book: Another Lousy Day in Paradise, A 1996 fly fishing journal by the inspiring humorist and author John Gierach. It may seem strange for a random book selection to inspire such reflection but stay with me.

I’ve always been a bookworm, often buying more than I can read—ask my wife. This book had been gathering dust on my shelf for over 28 years. As I delved into Gierach’s witty and insightful writing, I was captivated by his unique perspective on life, fly fishing, and the outdoors.

In 1992, while living in Manhattan, I stumbled into a shop on 5th Avenue called The Urban Angler. I purchased my first fly rod, an Orvis eight-and-a-half foot, three-ounce, five-weight beauty! I remember thinking Dad would say, “Why the hell would you buy a fishing rod in New York City?”

“Because I want to learn to Flyfish.”

“In New York City?”

“No! . . . I’ve been reading about the Catskills Mountains!” Known as the “birthplace of American fly fishing,” these stunning mountains are home to some of the best trout streams in the state, offering breathtaking views at every turn. And the best part? They’re only a short train ride away from Manhattan!

Before I set off, though, I need to brush up on my casting skills, learn how to read the waters, and refine my technique for casting dry flies. I’d grown up using a spinning reel, a “bait fisherman”–a bad word–for Fly fishermen. After getting my new gear, I strapped it to my bicycle rode to Central Park on weekends, and learned to cast on the lake.

Returning to the book, my curiosity led me to “Google”–John Gierach. Was he still writing? I was surprised to find out that he had passed away just one month earlier, on October 3, 2024. The timing of my rediscovery of his work felt almost uncanny. It was as if the universe had conspired to bring this forgotten book to my attention when it was meant to be read.

This experience has left me pondering the nature of chance and coincidence. Was it mere luck that I picked up this particular book? Or was there something deeper at play? Perhaps it was a gentle nudge from the universe–time to retire and go fishing–or a reminder to cherish the present moment and appreciate the unexpected connections that enrich our lives.

Anyway, I’m grateful for this serendipitous encounter as I re-explore Gierach’s writings. It has reminded me of a talented writer and provided a valuable lesson about the power of chance and the importance of staying open to life’s surprises.

Also, it's about time I dug out that fly rod and returned to something I loved all those years ago–don’t you think?

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. I'll see you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

Stamps and Snow

In this episode, Stamps and Snow . . .   You don’t usually walk into the local Post Office expecting a time warp . . . but here we are. All we wanted were stamps for this year's Christmas cards— yes, the old-fashioned paper ones that require licking, sticking, and hoping the Postal Service is feeling ambitious this week. But holiday errands have a talent for slowing you down, almost like the universe whispering, “Relax. You’re not getting out of this line any faster anyway.” So we waited. And while we waited, we talked (Are you surprised?). Because the Post Office is one of the few places where people still look up from their phones long enough to talk . . . Maybe it's because they're holding packages. It’s the modern town square: part civic duty, part free entertainment, part sociology experiment. The discussion began with holiday specials streaming on Netflix, Paramount+, and other services during this time of year. One gentleman who has lived in Vista since 1958 told us,...