Skip to main content

A Pirate's Ponderings

In this episode, A Pirate's Ponderings: Turning 69 with a Classic . . .

When was the last time you were so compelled by a quest that you had your bags packed and your boots on before the first rooster crowed? For me, this summer has been exactly that, a journey where the world outside faded away and the one inside my head roared to life.

I felt like that young cabin boy in training, with the vast ocean of a great story stretching out before me. My hand was on the wheel, navigating every swell, riding the waves, and eager to see what lay just beyond the horizon. This wasn't a journey across lands, but a flight of imagination that has been an exciting ride.

My adventure took off on the deck of the Hispaniola as I became lost on Treasure Island. My imagination soared, and I could almost taste the salt spray and feel the ship's timbers groan as we sailed toward our destiny. Below deck, in the narrow, shadowy depths, I could smell the hearty meals Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins prepared (or was Lori cooking breakfast)—a brief truce between pirate and cabin boy.

When we finally landed on the island, the mutiny exploded, and the book became a breathless race. I cheered for Jim as he narrowly escaped the pirates and felt a thrill of discovery when he met Ben Gunn, the wild, marooned islander. This chaotic scramble for buried treasure was a powerful reminder that an epic adventure is as much about cunning as it is about courage.

The most gripping part of the story, though, was the complex and unforgettable relationship between Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver. It’s an outstanding example of rich character development, showing how a bond can form between a boy and a man, and how even a ruthless villain can carry heartfelt feelings—though often overshadowed by greed and self-interest. This is the kind of reading that keeps you truly hooked.

During these morning escapes, I wasn’t just reading words on a page. My mind was painting vivid images, and I was completely immersed, hearing the rhythmic waves on the shore and the chilling cry of Silver’s parrot: “Pieces of Eight! Pieces of Eight!” This was an incredible feeling of freedom away from the real world.

This summer of rediscovering classics has been the perfect prelude to a big milestone for me: my birthday is just around the corner on August 16th, and I'll be turning 69. It’s a moment of reflection and celebration. But it also has me thinking about your next significant milestone. Perhaps it's a birthday of your own, a graduation, a new job, or an adventure you've just begun.

Whatever the next chapter holds, a truly profound escape awaits you within the pages of a classic. These stories, which have filled my summer mornings with purpose and excitement, remind me that no matter your age or circumstance, there's always a new page to turn and a new story to discover. My next adventure is a Jules Verne classic, Around the World in 80 Days, and I can already feel the engines rumbling.

This renewed passion for classic literature makes me wonder: what have you been missing? Which old favorite on your shelf is waiting for your revisit, or what timeless story have you always meant to read?

So, here’s my challenge to you, as I turn a new page in my life: Find a classic you've always meant to read and immerse yourself in its world. Let its prose carry you away, expand your imagination, and give you the same thrill of a great escape I found this summer.

Whether it's a tale of adventure, a story of self-discovery, or a biting satire, I promise you won't regret the journey.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious and ask questions. See you next episode.

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Losing a leg is far better than losing a brain - as our wooden headed POTUS has done!

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...