Skip to main content

Earl Nightingale

In this 200th episode – Earl Nightingale . . .

The audio segment you heard in the intro was the voice of Earl Nightingale. I've been thinking about this special 200th episode for a few months now, considering what would be fitting. So, I went back and listened to many of the early episodes of On the Fly. I asked myself these questions, Why a podcast? What did I want to share with others? And who unknowingly had the most significant influence on my life?

Little did I realize it then, but in hindsight, one person's destiny and life’s work influenced my thinking for the better. Allow me to introduce you to that person and how he changed the lives of countless millions by serving others through the power of the spoken word.

His name is Earl Nightingale. He was born on March 12, 1921 – March 25, 1989. Earl was an American radio broadcaster, author, philosopher, and entrepreneur fascinated with human character development, motivation, and meaningful existence.

A Marine who served during WWII on the USS Arizona, the ship that was attacked on December 7, 1941, in Pearl Harbor. Killed that day were 1,177 of the 1,512 crew members on board at the time; he was one of only 15 marines to survive the attack that day. While in the Marine Corps, Earl volunteered as an announcer with a local radio station. This eventually sparked his desire to move to Chicago and explore his newfound "broadcasting career."

He began hosting his daily commentary program in Chicago on WGN radio's vast, 50,000-watt clear channel. Earl's broadcasting career spanned over 40 years, and through the period of 1950-1956, he was known as the hero's voice in the popular action-adventure series, 'Sky King,' which also ran on WGN radio.

Nightingale wrote and recorded over 7,000 radio programs, 250 audio programs, television programs, and videos during his lifetime. He authored The Strangest Secret, hailed as "one of the great motivational books of all time." He then went on to narrate this book in 1956. It was the first audio recording to achieve gold record status (over one million copies sold).

So, Why a Podcast?

What captured my attention as a young boy was Earl Nightingale's daily five-minute program, "Our Changing World," which aired in 1959 five minutes a day, five days a week during those 40 years. This is what On the Fly, an on-demand audio segment, is modeled after. Earl’s program was heard on over one thousand radio stations, the most widely syndicated program of its time. Subsequently, those five-minute segments would be compiled and distributed as a digital audio download, The Essence of Success.

I've made those segments a part of my life for over 55 years. Whenever I need a lift or a reminder of what’s important in my life, I re-listen to select segments on my iPhone.

His message is profound yet so simple that people pass over it like a stranger in the night, it’s this:

                        WE BECOME what we think about.

That, my listening friends, is the “Essence” of The Strangest Secret.


                        WE BECOME what we think about.


I challenge you to look him up on YouTube, Amazon, or Google - Earl Nightingale. Get a copy of his book The Strangest Secret and experience how your attitude, relationships, work, and life will blossom.


I’m Patrick Ball; thanks for listening to this 200th milestone episode; see you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...