Skip to main content

Let’s Talk Pickleball

In this episode – Let’s Talk Pickleball . . .

Welcome back to On the Fly, your weekly dose of everything fun and active! This week, we're serving a fresh take on a sport sweeping the nation – pickleball! It's not just for bored kids in the 60s anymore, folks. Pickleball is exploding in popularity, especially among older adults, and for good reason; whether you're a seasoned athlete or just looking for a fun way to move your body, grab your paddle and listen up!

(Sound of a pickleball game – ball hitting paddles, laughter)

First things first, what exactly is pickleball?
Imagine a paddle sport combining badminton, tennis, and table tennis elements. Played on a badminton-sized court with a slightly modified tennis net, pickleball uses paddles and a perforated plastic ball. Points are scored like in tennis, but a unique "no-volley zone" near the net adds a strategic twist. That no-volley zone, or "kitchen" as it's called, prevents players from overpowering opponents at the net. This levels the playing field for everyone, making it perfect for people of all ages and abilities.

(Chuckles) Let’s be honest: the name "pickleball" is just plain fun! The official story is that the game was named after a dog, but there's also a rumor it refers to the mishmash of different sports it borrows from. Whatever the origin, it's a catchy name!

So, who can claim the title of pickleball inventor?

Buckle up because the story involves bored kids, creative thinking, and a summer afternoon in 1965. The inventors were Congressman Joel Pritchard, businessman Bill Bell, and their friend Barney McCallum. With badminton equipment unavailable, they improvised with ping-pong paddles and a perforated ball, lowering the net for a slower, more playable game. Soon, the rules were created, and pickleball was born!

Now, let's discuss why this sport especially appeals to older adults. Pickleball offers a low-impact workout that combines physical activity with social interaction. It's easier on the joints than tennis but still provides a good cardio challenge. Plus, the friendly and welcoming community makes it easy to pick up and enjoy.

Ask any seasoned player; community is key. Many pickleball facilities offer beginner clinics and social events, making it a perfect way to meet new people and stay active.

However, before hitting the court, it's important to prepare your body for pickleball action with these dynamic stretches, similar to the ones you did in high school PE class. Listen up, pickleball newbies!

Pickleball Warm-Up Stretches:

Let’s start with Neck Rolls: Gently roll your head in a circle five times forward and five times backward.

Arm Circles: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and make small circles with your arms, forward ten times and backward ten times. Gradually increase the size of the circles.

Torso Twists: Stand with feet hip-width apart and twist your torso slowly from side to side, reaching over your shoulder with each twist. Repeat ten times on each side.

Arm Swings: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and swing your arms back and forth, starting small and gradually increasing the range of motion. Repeat ten times forward and backward.

Leg Swings: Stand holding onto a stable object for balance and swing one leg forward and back in a pendulum motion, keeping your leg straight. Repeat ten times on each leg.

Walking Lunges: Step forward with one leg and lower your body until your back knee nearly touches the ground. Push back up to the starting position and repeat on the other leg. Continue walking forward for ten lunges per leg.

High Knees: March in place, bringing your knees up high towards your chest with each step. Do this for 30 seconds.

Butt Kicks: Run in place, kicking your heels up towards your glutes with each step. Do this for 30 seconds.

You might not need to do all these stretches but remember to breathe deeply throughout the stretches and listen to your body. Don't push yourself beyond your limits. It's important to get your blood flowing and muscles warm without overexerting yourself.

Bonus stretches: After the game, cool down with static stretches to improve flexibility and prevent soreness. Hold each stretch for about 30 seconds. Remember, the goal is to have fun and stay healthy, not push yourself too hard.

So, there you have it, folks! Pickleball: A fun, social, and accessible sport perfect for people of all ages and abilities. Whether you're looking for a workout, a social outing, or just a little friendly competition, try pickleball. You might find yourself hooked!

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Morning Coffee

In this episode, Morning Coffee . . . Now, I’m not saying everyone needs coffee. Some folks get by just fine on, I don’t know, sunlight and positive thinking. Me? I’m pretty sure I started drinking the stuff sometime around the Reagan administration. Reading John Gierach’s "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum (a book that should be required reading for anyone who sees sleeping on the ground as recreation) got me thinking about how we’ve managed to complicate something as fundamentally simple as boiling water and adding grounds. Taste, you say? Look, black coffee is an acquired taste, like tequila or cilantro. I just don’t get it. Gierach, bless his heart, mostly drinks his java streamside, probably while wearing wool socks and waders and contemplating the mysteries of the universe. As for me? My outdoor coffee experience is a bit different. Picture this: the High Sierra, where campfires are banned (to avoid agitating Smoky Bear), and I’m huddled over a Whisperlite , coax...

The Endless Work of Wisdom

It always makes me smile. The moment people learn I've officially entered what I like to call the Great Un-Working (retirement), they almost immediately ask the same question: “So . . . What do you do now?" I think they're expecting me to say I'm restoring a vintage sports car, hiking the John Muir Trail, or finally becoming fluent in French.   Instead, I tell them: "I live life deliberately." That's usually the point when I get a polite nod, followed by the unmistakable look of someone wondering whether I've simply found a more sophisticated way to say, “I’m becoming a bum.” Apparently, "living deliberately" sounds suspiciously like unemployment, just better branding. The truth is, what living deliberately looks like for me right now is taking time to synthesize a lifetime of experiences into these weekly reflections. It's slowing down long enough to ask what those experiences have taught me, while keeping the door wide open to the poss...

A Tucson Typewriter Tale

One of the great joys of wandering without much of a plan is that the universe occasionally rewards your lack of organization. During my recent visit to Tucson, AZ, Robert and I were strolling through the Annex this afternoon, doing what tourists and newly minted retirees like me have elevated to an Olympic sport: meandering. The Annex is one of those places where every few steps there's another handmade candle, artisan coffee, or vintage object someone rescued from a garage sale and convinced the rest of us was always destined to become art. Then I saw something that genuinely stopped me. A young woman standing quietly behind a manual typewriter. Not a laptop designed to look like a typewriter. Not a quirky Bluetooth keyboard. An honest-to-goodness mechanical typewriter—the sort of machine that once announced every sentence to the entire office with a satisfying clack and enough force to wake nearby pigeons. With an iPhone 16 sitting in my pocket in an age when people write novels...

A B+ Kind of Life

Welcome back to this week's On the Fly . Retirement has taught me something unexpected: life gets a lot more enjoyable when you stop chasing perfection. Lately, I've been having an absolute blast playing executive par-3 courses like Rancho Carlsbad . A short iron, a sunny morning, and nowhere to be except the next tee—that's my kind of day. This Thursday, though, I'm raising the stakes. I'm heading to The Links at Lakehouse in San Marcos, a full-size par-71 course with enough water hazards to keep the local fish well-stocked with my golf balls. After shooting a 64 on a par-3 course, I've set myself a new goal: shoot an 89 before my birthday next August. Why 89? Because on a par-71 course, that's bogey golf—one extra stroke per hole. For non-golfers, think of it this way: par is like earning 100% on a final exam. Bogey golf is a solid B+. You got the job done, learned something, and probably had a lot more fun getting there. The older I get, the more I appre...