Skip to main content

Baseball is Back

In this episode – Baseball is Back . . .

 

I must confess I'm a huge fan of the Chicago Cubs. Who else but a true fan would willingly watch a Spring Training baseball broadcast on The Marquee Sports Network, especially when it's one of their first broadcasts? Casual baseball fans would say, “It's a waste of time; these games don't mean a thing.”

I disagree. It's an opportunity to sit back, enjoy the rhythm and sounds of the game, and reminisce. Living in Southern California, we have several baseball teams to choose from, including the San Diego Padres, the Angels of Anaheim, the Los Angeles Dodgers, and, with a road trip, the San Francisco Giants. People ask me, why the Cubs? The answer is simple: My Dad was a Cubs fan (everyone called him Doc), and baseball was a big part of my childhood. The sounds of baseball were everywhere - on the barbershop radio – while playing baseball with the Heller boys and at the local ball diamond where I watched my Dad play.

So this afternoon, I had a crazy idea - what if I ask Gemini AI to craft a poem about Spring Training baseball and the Cubs? I wonder what it would come up with - well, folks, here it is.


Baseball is Back!

In Mesa, where the sun shines bright,

The Cubs return with all their might.

Spring training's here, a joyous scene,

As baseball dreams take center green.

 

The crack of bats, the pop of gloves,

A symphony of sounds that fans love.

Young Suzuki, sprinting down the line,

While Nico muscles up a fine,


Home run shot that soars so high,

It paints a smile across the sky.

Merryweather throws with laser heat,

While Wisdom dives, his glove meets feet,


With perfect grace, a grounder snagged,

The crowd erupts, their voices ragged.

From bleachers loud to sunny stands,

The spirit of the Cubs – expands.


Each day a test, each swing a chance,

To build a team, take a winning stance.

For soon they'll head north, Wrigley awaits,

Where history whispers through its gates.


So let the games in Mesa play,

As Cubs fans dream of a brand-new day.

For spring's a time of hope renewed,

It’s Chicago Cubs baseball, don’t be rude!


Yes, I’ll admit it’s a little hokey, but what the “HE–double toothpicks”? It’s a fun way to experiment with what you can do with AI.


And it reminds me of Dad.


I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...