Skip to main content

The Power of Positive Thinking

In this episode - The Power of Positive Thinking . . .

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale is a self-help book that explores the impact of optimism and positive thoughts on your life. Peale emphasizes the influence of one's thoughts on shaping experiences and achieving success. This small book has sold over 5 million copies since it was first published in 1952. I recently purchased a copy from our local Barnes & Noble and read it again because our lives were changing once more. Let me explain.

As 2023 draws to a close, I have taken it upon myself to reflect on what has influenced my thinking and my life. Like many, during these challenging times of war in Israel and Ukraine, with the proliferation of hate and violence, I am trying to regain the optimism that fueled me to become who I am today.

After moving to California in April 1985, I felt compelled to meet Dr. Norman Vincent Peale (see Dreamers). Why? Not because I had read his book but because the Title had a profound influence on my thinking and attitude. That year, my life dramatically changed; I moved to California to attend the Gemological Institute of America. In doing so, I decided my thinking had to change, so I enrolled in The Dale Carnegie Course for Public Speaking and Human Relations. This was the catalyst that started driving me into the self-help era that was prevalent at the time.

The self-help movement grew and diversified during the latter half of the 20th century. It was made possible by the amazing contributions of authors and speakers like Norman Vincent Peale, Zig Ziglar, Tony Robbins, Robert Schuller, Louise Hay, and Stephen Covey. They offered valuable advice on many topics, such as positive thinking, motivation, success, relationships, health, and spirituality.

It was 1952 when Peale published his book that encourages readers to develop a positive mindset, which can help them overcome obstacles and achieve personal goals. According to Peale, it is crucial to believe in oneself, nurture faith, and use affirmations to reprogram your mind for success. By focusing on positive thoughts and visualizing desired outcomes, you can attract favorable circumstances and opportunities.

This book offers practical advice on techniques such as prayer, visualization, and affirmations to combat negativity and develop resilient, optimistic attitudes. Peale emphasizes the power of faith in achieving miracles and encourages readers to tap into their inner strength to overcome obstacles.

Additionally, Peale suggests surrounding oneself with positive influences, avoiding negative people and situations, and practicing gratitude to maintain a positive outlook. While rereading this book during the holidays, Chapter 6 - Stop Fuming & Fretting impacted me deeply. I had allowed myself to become consumed by anger, irritation, frustration, and worry, which can damage one's mental and physical health. In this chapter, he discusses how these negative emotions can lead to stress, anxiety, and even health issues if left unchecked.

Peale emphasizes the need to avoid fuming and fretting by adopting a more positive and constructive approach to handling challenging situations. He suggests several practical techniques to overcome these negative emotions:

  1. Develop Self-Control: Acknowledge that everyone faces frustrations and irritations; Peale advises practicing self-control by consciously choosing not to dwell on these negative emotions.
  2. Countering Negative Thoughts: He encourages replacing negative thoughts with positive affirmations and constructive thinking. This involves consciously redirecting thoughts towards solutions and positive outcomes rather than dwelling on problems.
  3. Use Physical Action: Physical activities or exercise can help dissipate frustration and stress. Redirecting energy towards constructive tasks will be beneficial.
  4. Practice Relaxation Techniques: Peale recommends relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or prayer to calm the mind and release tension.
  5. Seek Perspective: Putting situations into perspective and realizing that most problems are temporary and manageable helps reduce stress and worry.

Overall, The Power of Positive Thinking serves as a guide to transforming one's mindset, fostering optimism, and harnessing the power of positive thoughts to lead a fulfilling and successful life.


I’m Patrick Ball. Make it a great New Year, its your choice. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

A B+ Kind of Life

Welcome back to this week's On the Fly . Retirement has taught me something unexpected: life gets a lot more enjoyable when you stop chasing perfection. Lately, I've been having an absolute blast playing executive par-3 courses like Rancho Carlsbad . A short iron, a sunny morning, and nowhere to be except the next tee—that's my kind of day. This Thursday, though, I'm raising the stakes. I'm heading to The Links at Lakehouse in San Marcos, a full-size par-71 course with enough water hazards to keep the local fish well-stocked with my golf balls. After shooting a 64 on a par-3 course, I've set myself a new goal: shoot an 89 before my birthday next August. Why 89? Because on a par-71 course, that's bogey golf—one extra stroke per hole. For non-golfers, think of it this way: par is like earning 100% on a final exam. Bogey golf is a solid B+. You got the job done, learned something, and probably had a lot more fun getting there. The older I get, the more I appre...

Resurrecting the '90s Graphite

Let’s face it, there’s a certain danger in reading John Gierach's Trout Bum . His wit, self-deprecation, and sharp, effortless satire are entirely infectious. If you aren't careful, his words will inspire you to drop everything, wade into a freezing river, and try to outsmart a creature with a brain the size of a lentil. In my case, re-reading Gierach recently didn't send me straight to the river. It sent me digging through the dusty, spider-guarded corners of my garage. In the early 1990s, seeking a natural escape from Manhattan's concrete canyons, I decided to learn to cast a fly rod. I bought an Orvis Rocky Mountain —eight-and-a-half feet, three ounces, built for a five-weight line—and had absolutely no idea how to use it. To avoid aimlessly whipping the water like scrambling eggs, I took fly-fishing lessons from Al Cucci, co-author of Hatches , on the Delaware River. With his guidance, I fished renowned waters: the AuSable in New York and Michigan, and New Jersey...

Morning Coffee

In this episode, Morning Coffee . . . Now, I’m not saying everyone needs coffee. Some folks get by just fine on, I don’t know, sunlight and positive thinking. Me? I’m pretty sure I started drinking the stuff sometime around the Reagan administration. Reading John Gierach’s "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum (a book that should be required reading for anyone who sees sleeping on the ground as recreation) got me thinking about how we’ve managed to complicate something as fundamentally simple as boiling water and adding grounds. Taste, you say? Look, black coffee is an acquired taste, like tequila or cilantro. I just don’t get it. Gierach, bless his heart, mostly drinks his java streamside, probably while wearing wool socks and waders and contemplating the mysteries of the universe. As for me? My outdoor coffee experience is a bit different. Picture this: the High Sierra, where campfires are banned (to avoid agitating Smoky Bear), and I’m huddled over a Whisperlite , coax...

The Endless Work of Wisdom

It always makes me smile. The moment people learn I've officially entered what I like to call the Great Un-Working (retirement), they almost immediately ask the same question: “So . . . What do you do now?" I think they're expecting me to say I'm restoring a vintage sports car, hiking the John Muir Trail, or finally becoming fluent in French.   Instead, I tell them: "I live life deliberately." That's usually the point when I get a polite nod, followed by the unmistakable look of someone wondering whether I've simply found a more sophisticated way to say, “I’m becoming a bum.” Apparently, "living deliberately" sounds suspiciously like unemployment, just better branding. The truth is, what living deliberately looks like for me right now is taking time to synthesize a lifetime of experiences into these weekly reflections. It's slowing down long enough to ask what those experiences have taught me, while keeping the door wide open to the poss...