Skip to main content

A Universe Reflected

In this episode, Finding Peace Beyond the Headlines.

This afternoon, I sit by the open window as the house settles into a generous quiet. Beyond the screen, the backyard breathes. A gentle slope rises to a vine-draped fence, as if the earth has drawn a soft green curtain. A breeze stirs the wind chimes—no performance, just a few wandering notes—and birds move in quiet procession to and from the feeder, intent on their small, necessary lives.

I haven’t stepped outside, and yet I’m there—folded into the rhythm of it all.

Then, inevitably, my gaze shifts. Away from the trees. Toward the world. And the contrast lands. The headlines arrive like a tornado we didn’t ask for—except this weather has producers. Somewhere, I imagine, a meeting is underway:

“Gentlemen, what do we have today?”
“Well, sir, things are mostly stable.”
“…That won’t work. Can anything be on fire?”

And just like that, the day is rebranded.

Chaos loops. Anger echoes. Division hums beneath everything. If a meteor doesn’t strike by noon, we’ll settle for a tweet and a panel of six people interrupting each other about it.

Meanwhile, just outside my window, a bird lands, eats, and leaves—without issuing a statement. My mind wanders—backward, outward—toward something steadier. Toward the kind of day Emerson once described—when the world feels so complete, so quietly aligned, there’s nowhere else you’d rather be.

And with that, I’m carried to the Eastern Sierra.

It’s 4:30 a.m. The dark is complete. I move through camp by headlamp, coax a flame from my WhisperLite, boil water, make coffee—arguably my most reliable survival skill.

Cup in hand, I walk to the ridge and sit. Then I look up.

The sky is impossibly full—stars scattered so thick they feel almost within reach.

And then—without thinking—I look down.

The lake is still. Clear as truth.

Every star above me is reflected below. Perfectly. For a moment, the mind can’t make sense of it. Up and down dissolve. The horizon disappears. I reach for a tree to steady myself, but the feeling holds:

I’m not standing at the edge of a lake.

I’m suspended in the universe.

It’s a remarkable experience—though a small part of my brain is still running a ticker: Breaking News: Man achieves enlightenment, immediately worries about slipping on a rock.

Then the first light arrives. Alpenglow spills across the peaks. Edges return. Shapes reassert. Gravity resumes its quiet authority.

The spell lifts.

Back at the window, the chimes stir again. A bird arcs across the yard and disappears beyond the fence.

You don’t have to climb to a high alpine lake to find the universe. Sometimes it waits just beyond the glass. In a breeze through chimes. In the arc of a bird’s flight.

So I’ll ask you: Where is your mirror lake? Where do you go—on foot or in memory—when the world tilts too far off center?

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask better questions, and just listen.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...