Skip to main content

The Independence of Solitude

In this episode, the Stubborn Choice to Rise

There’s that tiny, breathless moment during a bicycle crash when you realize gravity has won, and it’s not going to budge.

I recently found myself in that exact situation. My front tire collided with another cyclist, and momentum took over, and I flipped like a sack of uninspired potatoes flung into the back of a truck. As the dust settled and I lay there, thrown from the bike, trembling . . . I did that quick, quiet check we all do: Am I broken? Will I ever be able to swing a golf club again? And, most importantly, can I rise again?

Thankfully, the answers were no, yes, and absolutely. I walked away bruised and battered, but okay. Once I realized that neither my golf clubs, hiking boots, nor my bicycle was going to retire early, I felt a rush of overwhelming gratitude.

A physical crash is loud, embarrassing, and leaves a mark. But the truth is, most of us are crashing much more quietly every single day.

We crash into the sheer exhaustion of our careers. We collide head-on with the frantic demands of people who treat urgency as a personality trait. Zig Ziglar used to say, “People often complain about lack of time when the lack of direction is the real problem.”

Nowhere is that lack of direction more obvious than in an LED-lit conference room. For years, particularly in the middle of a career, the default reaction to all this directionless chaos is to strap on a cape and try to fix it. We absorb the stress, nod thoughtfully at the latest corporate jargon, and try to rescue meetings that should have been a brief email.

But trying to fix a chaotic world is a guaranteed way to lose your mind in it. Eventually, you have to realize you aren’t the emotional IT department for everyone else’s crisis. Sometimes, the most powerful thing you can do is hang up the cape and just . . . observe.

Ralph Waldo Emerson saw this trap clearly in his essay Self-Reliance. He wrote: “It’s simple to follow what everyone else thinks, especially when you’re alone. But the real hero is someone who, even in a crowd, maintains a sweet sense of independence, like being alone.”

That independence of solitude is like having a superpower in your mid-career. It lets you sit through meetings, watch people act, and listen to them talk about “synergizing their bandwidth,” and just smile inside. You don’t have to fix the mess. You just have to refuse to let it ruin your afternoon.

Writing every day isn’t just a habit; it’s proof of life. It’s how I carve out a slice of silence in a noisy world. It slows the video just enough to catch the small, absurd, and beautiful details that usually slip through our busy fingers. It also keeps my optimism honest. Being optimistic doesn’t mean pretending you’ll never wipe out; it means having the grit to laugh at the bruise, trust your balance, and get right back in the saddle.

Ziglar knew that it’s your attitude, not your skills, that determines how high you go. True optimism is the active, slightly stubborn hope that when you do hit the ground—whether you’re dodging gravel on a trail or dodging egos in a boardroom—you can dust yourself off, laugh at the scrape, and get back in the saddle.

The world will always try to push you to go fast. But the future is what we make it. I choose to keep watching, keep playing, keep riding, and keep looking for the magic in everyday life.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask better questions. See you next time.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...