Skip to main content

Tuck, Roll, and Rain

In this episode, the interactive obstacle course of the San Marcos bike path. (Sunday, April 12, 2026)

It started out as a beautiful day for a ride—our usual 30-mile Sunday trek to Escondido. The weather was moody, with brooding dark clouds threatening rain, but the streets were mostly empty. The traffic was light, and the bike paths were eerily quiet. It gave off the distinct, yet entirely false, illusion of a peaceful sanctuary.

We were headed home, and I had settled into a smooth, hypnotic cadence on the path across from Palomar College in San Marcos. I was listening to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field, minding my own business, and dressed to be seen. Between my colorful jersey and my cherry-red vest, I was illuminated like a human traffic cone. You could spot me from low Earth orbit.

Apparently, that wasn't visible enough.


Up ahead, I spotted another cyclist. He was cruising along in a state of pure, unhelmeted zen—completely unburdened by the earthly concepts of peripheral vision or spatial awareness. Following standard protocol, I gave my bell a clear, friendly ring to announce I was passing. In the cycling world, this means, "Hello, I am approaching." To this gentleman, however, it translated to, "Please, by all means, execute an immediate and violent swerve directly into my path.”


My instant reaction was a loud, desperate "NOOOOO!" But as it turns out, physics is stubbornly immune to negotiation. The collision was spectacular. In a fraction of a second, I transitioned from a peaceful Sunday cyclist into an amateur stuntman. I launched over the handlebars, tucked, and executed a hard roll onto my left shoulder against the unforgiving pavement.


When my momentum finally stopped, I tried to stand, and a wave of agonizing pain reminded me that I am, in fact, not a stuntman. I stumbled around in a daze, performing a mental inventory of my limbs to see what was broken. My right leg was scraped and bleeding in three places. My right hand was a bloody mess. Behind me lay my poor bike, its seat twisted and handlebars knocked completely out of alignment.


Lori, who had been riding behind me, pulled up. Seeing the blood and the wreckage, she was understandably frazzled. And what of the guy who had blindly swerved into a glowing red, bell-ringing cyclist? He surveyed the tangled metal and the bleeding rider on the ground, clearly deep in thought. Finally, he offered this profound nugget of wisdom: "I should probably wear my helmet."


A brilliant deduction. Truly, a modern-day Sherlock Holmes.

Having solved that mystery, he followed up with an offer: "I have a van nearby, do you want me to take you home?"


"No," I said.


Because getting into a stranger's van after they’ve just blindly run you off the road is exactly how every great true-crime podcast begins. No, thank you.


After taking a long, steadying drink of water, we wrestled my twisted bike back into submission. I climbed onto the saddle and started the long pedal back. Because the universe has a wonderful sense of dramatic timing, it was right then that the sky finally opened up. A torrential downpour began. 


Honestly?


The biting, cool rain felt incredible. It was a sharp contrast to the dull ache throbbing in my shoulder, and it washed away the dust of the crash as I limped my way home.


I made it home without further incident, except for searing pain when stopped at a stoplight. The pain in my chest and shoulder was intensifying. After we checked me out, we found a deep bruise blooming on my chest and another on my left shoulder. Miraculously, nothing was broken. When you think you have "smooth sailing" on the supposed safety of a bike path, remember today's ride.


Bike paths aren't sanctuaries; they are interactive obstacle courses. So many people are entirely wrapped up in their own little bubbles. Never assume the guy in front of you will continue straight. Accidents happen when you least expect them, usually at the hands of someone who isn't expecting anything at all.


Keep your guard up, wear your brightest colors anyway, and always be ready to tuck and roll.


I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, be attentive, and never underestimate the blind stupidity of another.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Resurrecting the '90s Graphite

Let’s face it, there’s a certain danger in reading John Gierach's Trout Bum . His wit, self-deprecation, and sharp, effortless satire are entirely infectious. If you aren't careful, his words will inspire you to drop everything, wade into a freezing river, and try to outsmart a creature with a brain the size of a lentil. In my case, re-reading Gierach recently didn't send me straight to the river. It sent me digging through the dusty, spider-guarded corners of my garage. In the early 1990s, seeking a natural escape from Manhattan's concrete canyons, I decided to learn to cast a fly rod. I bought an Orvis Rocky Mountain —eight-and-a-half feet, three ounces, built for a five-weight line—and had absolutely no idea how to use it. To avoid aimlessly whipping the water like scrambling eggs, I took fly-fishing lessons from Al Cucci, co-author of Hatches , on the Delaware River. With his guidance, I fished renowned waters: the AuSable in New York and Michigan, and New Jersey...

From Mailbox to Microphone

In this episode, catching up with Sierra . What happens when you combine a little imagination, modern digital tools, and the willingness to make a glorious, muddy mess? You get our guest’s latest project. I’m Patrick Ball. Welcome back to On the Fly . Today, we are diving into the world of native plants and guerrilla gardening with twelve-year-old creator Sierra. After watching her impressive, self-produced tutorial on how to make ‘Seed Balls,’ I had to know how she did it. It’s incredibly inspiring to watch Sierra evolve from a young artist wielding crayons and stationery into a savvy digital creator. She’s writing scripts, mastering voiceovers, and editing—all to make a positive, green impact on her local community. “She shoots, she scores, and she’s here to tell us all about it.” Please welcome Sierra to On the Fly ! Let’s get into it. Audio interview . . . For more blog posts showcasing Sierra’s talents, see: The Mailbox Surprise . . . and The Summer Surprise I’m Patrick Ball. Sta...

The AI Debate Was Settled in 1954

In this episode, what a 70-year-old sci-fi mystery teaches us. Welcome back to On the Fly. I’ve been looking for a clear way to explain how we should be handling Artificial Intelligence today. I finally found the answer hidden in a book I just finished. The twist? It was written more than seventy years ago. Isaac Asimov's The Caves of Steel was published in 1954, when a computer filled an entire room, consumed enough electricity to dim the neighborhood, and had roughly the computing power of today's microwave. Yet Asimov set his story nearly 3,000 years in the future—a world where humanity lives in sprawling enclosed cities (New York) and depends on advanced technology for nearly every aspect of daily life. The remarkable part isn't how much of the technology he imagined. It's how accurately he predicted us. In Asimov's future, society struggles with the introduction of highly sophisticated humanoid robots powered by "positronic brains." Naturally, a lou...

The Birth of a Cubs Legend

In this episode, The 162-Game Exhale — and the Birth of a Cubs Legend There’s a hush in the baseball world on Game 162 — a collective breath drawn in and slowly released. Scoreboards stop flipping. Dugouts empty. For six months, the game has been our steady heartbeat, pulsing from the cherry blossoms of Tokyo in March to the crisp, playoff-charged winds of late September. And now, as the regular season exhales, baseball fans everywhere pause to absorb the story we’ve just lived. For me, that story has been deeply personal. This season unfolded in the rhythms of my daily life. It was the summer soundtrack echoing beneath the constant turmoil of politics and sensational headlines. It was a handful of carefully chosen ballpark pilgrimages stitched together with countless nights in front of MLB.TV. And at the center of it all, for a lifelong Cubs fan like me, it revolved around one name — a young center fielder who turned hope into history: Pete Crow-Armstrong. The 2025 season didn’t begin...