Skip to main content

The Current Below the Asphalt

In this episode, from Pedals to Hiking Trails.

Normally, today would be a day for the roadway—the gears, the cadence, the 30-mile push of a cyclist. But today I’ve stepped off the bike and descended into a creek-side trail, where the thick brush effectively erases the neighborhood’s roads. In this concealed corridor, I walk with an old neighbor, Henry David Thoreau, and his words resonate through the limpid air like a frequency I’m finally tuned in to hear:

“I am convinced, both by faith and experience, that to maintain one’s self on this earth is not a hardship but a pastime, if we will live simply and wisely.” — Walden

There is a specific kind of magic that reveals itself only when you are below the asphalt. By blocking out the sight of the roadways, I’ve also blocked out the noise of the social grid.

Today, I once again realize that wisdom and knowledge aren’t things we collect like toys or miles. Instead, they are part of a universal energy—a living spirit that flows through the landscape and into us if we allow it. We don’t own this energy; we simply act as channels for it. When we are quiet enough, we stop being producers and become vessels for a truth that existed long before us.

As a child, I spent hours in the woods with my father. Back then, I didn’t notice the smell of the damp earth or the soft, balanced texture of the air; I simply breathed it. Sitting here now, those childhood observations are being resurrected.

In the quiet of nature, the hardship of maintaining a life dissolves. It becomes a pastime—a joyful witnessing of the various shades of green, the singing of the birds, and the whispering wind. The magic of life doesn’t need to be invented; it only needs to be revealed. And it reveals itself best when you are out of sight of the pavement.

Today, find your own creek side.

Find the place where the world’s demands are blocked out by the trees and the air feels perfectly still. Let yourself be a channel for the energy that’s already there. You might find that the true self you’ve been chasing is waiting for you in the very first place you ever looked—in the quiet, hidden green.

It’s funny how a simple change in pace and elevation—descending into a creek bed—can completely transform your perspective from cyclist to philosopher.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask better questions.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...