Skip to main content

The View From the Tee Box Is Improving

In this episode, A funny thing happens when you stop searching for your golf ball—you start enjoying the game.

Welcome back to On the Fly.

Let’s be honest: at 69, most people are focused on staying upright and not tripping over the cat. Not me. Fueled by a lifetime of Zig Ziglar wisdom—especially A View From the Top—I’ve been chasing a goal that sits somewhere between ambitious and “mildly delusional”: By my 70th birthday, I want to shoot my age in golf.

And yes—before anyone calls the PGA Tour—this is happening on a par-3 executive course. This is The Amen Corner of Retirement, where the holes are short, the rounds are friendly, and the expectations are... negotiable. Still, a 70 is a 70.

The Quiet Progress

And lately, something interesting has happened.

This week? I’m noticing the progress. I’ve been spending time on the parts of the game that don’t make headlines—chipping and putting. No drama. No hero shots. Just quiet, repetitive work around the greens. And now... the payoff is starting to show up. Not in some miraculous, angels-singing kind of way. But in something better.

The ball is starting to fly straight.

Not every time, of course—I’m not writing fiction here—but often enough that I’ve noticed a shift. I’m not spending my round wandering into the weeds, negotiating with bushes, or holding philosophical discussions with lost golf balls. I’m actually playing golf.

Ziglar called the body a temple. At my age, I’d say it’s a well-maintained, occasionally creaky structure with a solid maintenance plan. The warm-up is longer. The stretches are more intentional. I'm working with a spine that hasn’t been through fusion surgery, which means I have to be honest about my systems.

I’m not fighting my body—I’m working with it. No heroic swings. No, trying to recreate something from decades ago. Just a smoother rhythm, a little more patience, and a growing appreciation for what still works really well.

Turns out, when you stop forcing it... Things start to come together. I’ve found my equipoise.

In physics (and in life), equipoise is that perfect state of equilibrium. It’s the balance of opposing forces. In golf, it’s the moment where effort meets ease; where the tension of the goal is perfectly balanced by the relaxation of the game.

Zig used to say:

“Positive thinking won’t let you do anything, but it will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.”

That feels especially true right now. Positive thinking didn’t suddenly fix my swing. What it did was create the mental equipoise necessary to change how I approach the game. I’m more relaxed. Less mechanical. More aware. And that creates space for feel.

Of course, even with equipoise, the universe likes to keep you humble. You know the shot: You line up. You channel your inner Ziglar. Your swing feels like silk. You watch the ball take flight—a majestic, soaring arc against the blue Southern California sky. It’s the most beautiful shot you’ve hit in a decade.

And then you realize it has the trajectory of a SpaceX rocket, and it’s overshooting the 100-yard green by a country mile.

SPLASH!

A wandering generality would throw their club. But with equipoise, you appreciate the physics. I just watched a $4 ball perform a perfect high-dive. If you can’t find the humor in overshooting a hole with the grace of an Olympic athlete, you’re missing the point. You smile because the flight was spectacular.

The Benefit of Perspective

There was a time when golf felt like work. Now it feels like a benefit. The benefit of time. The benefit of perspective. The benefit of realizing that a well-struck 9-iron that lands somewhere near the green is, in fact, a perfectly acceptable life outcome.

The goal is still the same: Seventy. It’s out there. Waiting. Probably a little amused. But the number matters a little less now, and the experience matters a lot more. If I get there, it’ll be a great story. If I don’t, I’ve already got a better one: I’m hitting more good shots, I’m losing fewer golf balls, and I’m having more fun than I have in years.

That feels like a win. A big one.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask more questions. We’ll talk On the Fly.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...