Skip to main content

Time Travel, Roving Mics, and Muscle Memory

In this episode, the 2026 Sinkankas Symposium.

Let’s get one thing straight: I didn’t arrive in a DeLorean. No flux capacitor, no dramatic lightning strike—just a Saturday parking pass and a name badge. And yet, somewhere between the rotunda doors and the first handshake, it happened anyway.

This past Saturday, April 25th, I was transported—effortlessly and completely—back in time at the 20th Annual Sinkankas Symposium on the GIA campus in Carlsbad.

Walking into that magnificent main campus rotunda early with my colleagues, Paul Mattlin and Glenn Wargo, felt like wrapping myself in a familiar, gem-encrusted blanket. It was less a building, more a family living room where nobody ever really forgets your name. The halls were quiet (a rare and beautiful thing), and the soft echo of our footsteps on the polished floors sounded exactly as I remembered it.

For a moment, it wasn’t 2026—it was April 1997, my first time walking onto the beautiful, brand-new GIA campus as Director of Alumni.

Some things, it turns out, don’t fade. They just wait patiently.

At my entirely unsubtle request, Paul and Glenn gave me the grand tour of the newly remodeled second floor of the Education Building. Their pride in GIA—earned over years of dedication—was unmistakable. And contagious. You don’t just work at a place like that. You become part of it.

Then I managed to corner Duncan Pay. Now, the Chief Academic Officer—Duncan, a modest promotion from the days when we worked side by side during his tenure as Director of Course Development—graciously gave me a peek behind the curtain into the executive offices. Standing in Mr. Liddicoat’s old office, now an executive conference room, once strictly off-limits to mere mortals, felt surreal.

Not like visiting. More like returning home. As attendees began to trickle in, the illusion of time travel locked firmly into place. One warm greeting followed another, and then—without warning or consent—my internal Director of Alumni software rebooted. No update required. No password needed.

I was back on duty.

My good friend Robert Weldon, serving as Master of Ceremonies for the day, offered what can only be described as ceremonial guidance:

“Patrick, just be part of the audience. Relax.”

This was roughly equivalent to telling a retriever to ignore a tennis ball.

I nodded, of course, very convincingly.

Then, like clockwork, I drifted to my natural habitat: the back of the room, greeting people as they took their seats, scanning the room without even realizing I was doing it.

The first speaker wrapped up. The Q&A began. And right on cue, someone in the front row asked a brilliant question—one that no one in the back half of the room could hear. Instinct didn’t just tap me on the shoulder—it grabbed the microphone. Sitting next to Jack Owensby, the maestro of all things audio and visual, I leaned over and whispered, already halfway out of my seat:

“Jack . . . tell me you’ve got a wireless mic.”

And just like that, I wasn’t attending the symposium—I was circulating through it. A human microphone, weaving through the aisles, encouraging more questions and making sure every question reached every ear.

So much for relaxing.

But here’s the thing: when you see a need, you fill it. Not out of obligation, but because you can’t imagine doing otherwise. That’s what GIA quietly instilled in us—not just how to grade a stone, but how to take care of the room.

And the people in it.

By the end of the day, it was clear that Saturday wasn’t really about my mildly comedic relapse into a former job description. It was something deeper.

A reminder . . .

Of the relationships built over the years.

Of the shared history that doesn’t fade with time.

Of the quiet, enduring bond that turns colleagues into something closer to family.

Because once you’ve been part of the GIA family, you don’t really retire from it.

You just sit down for a while . . . until someone, somewhere in the back of the room, can’t hear the question.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions, and remember true joy in life comes from serving others.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...