Skip to main content

Ode To Gemology

For over 80 years, students of gemology have struggled with spectrums, bewildered by birefringence, and simply plagued by pleochroism. The following sonnet is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face, a glow to your heart, and a simple reminder that students of life and gemology rediscover nature's gifts every day. 

Ode to Gemology, by a GIA on-campus student.

Dispersion, fire, adventurescence.

Orient, sheen, or iridescence.

Refractive index, high or low.

The luster should indicate that, you know.

Polarization, double or single.

What to do now, they intermingle.

Pleochroic colors you really should see.

Was that only two, or actually three?

Birefringence should help you a lot.

Use your polarizer and watch the spot.

Now, did it jump most on low or high?

Sure, you can get it if you really try!

Your liquids should be an aid, I think.

Does it float, suspend, or slowly sink?

Just use your imagination now.

(He doesn't see me wiping my brow.)

Solid inclusions or only bubbles?

Huh, they brush right off. I’ve still got troubles.

Look for crystals and fingerprints.

Are the striae straight, or are they bent?

You finally make your identifications.

You only missed one! Congratulations.

You're doing fine. It's just speed you lack.

I feel like using a well-placed tack!

The scientific approach is tough.

And you feel like shouting, 'I've had enough!'

But sooner or later, you see the light.

And you know that this approach is right.

So to all who have helped us, may we humbly say,

Thank God we had you to show us the way.

To a life that is full of things that are real.

And the appreciation you've taught us to feel.

For the things which nature so graciously gives.

You've given us something by which to live.

This Saturday, April 25th, GIA will host the 20th and final

Sinkankas Symposium. As a tribute to Richard Liddicoat, G. Robert Crowningshield, Eunice Miles, and the many mentors who built the foundation of our field, I did a little digging.

That sonnet wasn't written yesterday. I found it buried in the archives of The Loupe, volume 5, from March of 1953. Penned by an unnamed New York on-campus student, it sounds exactly like so many students I’ve seen over the decades—just trying to make sense of the stones in front of them.

It proves that the beautiful, frustrating, awe-inspiring journey of a gemology student hasn't changed a bit. We all still end up looking for that light.

This is On the Fly. I'm Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions. See you next time.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...