Skip to main content

The Cowardice of Corporate Jargon

Picture this: an email lands in your inbox. A colleague—maybe even a friend—needs a favor, a second set of eyes, a moment of your time. You sigh, stare at the glow of your monitor, and type:

“I’d love to help, but I just don’t have the bandwidth right now.”

Hit send. Problem solved. Conscience clear.

Except it shouldn’t be. Most of us have said or sent that line at least once, hoping it would land gently.

On the surface, it’s perfect—efficient, polite, even self-aware. And that’s exactly the problem. It lets you decline without ever quite telling the truth. You didn’t just say no; you softened the discomfort of being human until it barely felt like a feeling at all.

Instead of admitting, I’m overwhelmed, or I don’t have the energy, you reach for the sterile vocabulary of a server room. You turn a feeling into a metric. A boundary into a system limitation.

Apologies, my data transfer rate is capped. Please submit a ticket to my emotional help desk.

It’s a clever little trick—and an understandable one. It spares us a moment of awkwardness. It just costs us a little honesty.

Bandwidth didn’t start this way. In the late 1800s, it belonged to radio engineers. By the 1990s, it was what the cable guy blamed when your AOL connection crawled. But as tech culture swallowed everything else, we started borrowing its language to describe ourselves. We “process” emotions. We download after meetings. We recharge.

Henry David Thoreau saw the danger long before Wi-Fi:

"But lo! Men have become the tools of their tools."

He wasn’t just warning about hammers and machines. He was warning about what happens when we let our tools reshape how we think—and, eventually, how we speak about ourselves. We stop describing our experience and start translating it into something cleaner, flatter, less human.

Because “I don’t have bandwidth” sounds better than “I’m at my limit.” It sounds controlled. Professional. Unimpeachable. No one can argue with a capacity issue.

But you are not a capacity issue.

Unless you’ve got a green light blinking on your forehead and an Ethernet cable plugged into your spine, you don’t have bandwidth. You have a breaking point.

And there’s nothing inefficient about that.

Commodifying our mental energy isn’t sophistication; it’s a kind of avoidance we’ve all learned because it keeps things smooth. It’s a way to keep things frictionless, to avoid the small, uncomfortable honesty of saying what’s actually true.

When I hit a wall working on something, nothing is “crashing.” I’m just tired—sometimes more than I expected. When my legs burn after a long ride, it’s not a system failure—it’s because I pushed too far. When the day slips sideways, sometimes the only fix is to pick up the Stratocaster and make noise until things settle.

That messiness isn’t a bug. It’s the whole point.

We are not dashboards, servers, or neatly optimized systems. We are inconsistent, emotional, occasionally exhausted people trying to get through the day with some measure of grace—and, on a good day, a little kindness for each other.

So if you can’t help someone, try to say so—honestly.

Say, “I’m overwhelmed.” Say, “I don’t have the energy.” Or, if it’s true, say the thing we’re trained to avoid: “I don’t want to take this on.”

It might feel awkward. It might even feel a little vulnerable. That’s because it’s real—and because the other person is, too.

Leave the bandwidth to the Wi-Fi.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask better questions. See you next time.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

Stamps and Snow

In this episode, Stamps and Snow . . .   You don’t usually walk into the local Post Office expecting a time warp . . . but here we are. All we wanted were stamps for this year's Christmas cards— yes, the old-fashioned paper ones that require licking, sticking, and hoping the Postal Service is feeling ambitious this week. But holiday errands have a talent for slowing you down, almost like the universe whispering, “Relax. You’re not getting out of this line any faster anyway.” So we waited. And while we waited, we talked (Are you surprised?). Because the Post Office is one of the few places where people still look up from their phones long enough to talk . . . Maybe it's because they're holding packages. It’s the modern town square: part civic duty, part free entertainment, part sociology experiment. The discussion began with holiday specials streaming on Netflix, Paramount+, and other services during this time of year. One gentleman who has lived in Vista since 1958 told us,...