Skip to main content

The Sapphire Mystery


Photo by: Robert Weldon
“Meet me at the airport in Atlanta this Saturday,” was the text message I received on my iPhone early that morning in my study. It was still dark; about 4:30 a.m., I knew Hercule Peridot kept odd hours. I immediately texted Peridot back - “Que se passe-t-il?”

Instantaneously an email from Peridot popped up, “We will review the facts on the flight – we're off to India. Click the attached link in this e-mail; Your flight is confirmed.”

My name is Adamas Bontemps, Graduate Gemologist (G.G.). I'm an avid student of gemstones and the lost art of deductive observation. My heritage is French. However, my formative years were spent in the Midwest, the Chicago area. My home is in California; as you will see, the nature of my work allows me the freedom to travel the world extensively. My good friend and mentor, who you will come to know through our adventures, Hercule Peridot, always had a surprise up his sleeve - but this one was more mysterious than usual. What could we possibly be doing in India? Obviously, there was no time to waste; the resolve in his e-mail demanded immediate action. I gathered my things, verified my electronic boarding pass, arranged for a taxi, and sped off to the airport.

When I arrived in Atlanta, I found Peridot savoring the scent of his espresso at the airport coffee shop, his mustache a slight hint of foam from his beverage. He was impeccably dressed, as always, with a fine vest, a subdued necktie, and polished shoes.


“Monsieur Bontemps, my dear friend, won't you join me for afternoon coffee?”


Oui, merci, how are you Peridot?”


“Fine, just fine - have a seat, my boy . . . This app is simply delightful; when I arrived, I had absolutely no idea where the coffee shop in this airport was located,” said Peridot. “Not only was I able to locate six in the vicinity, but the GPS in this enchanted phone gave me step-by-step directions through this labyrinth of hallways.”


As an afterthought, Peridot commented, “We absolutely must find a way to use this technology in our pursuit of the 
Gem Identification process. I’m just so smitten with this “Siri,” her voice is simply charming. How do you find her, Bontemps?”

In a dismissive manner - frustrated, motioning with my right hand, “Yes, yes, charming - so, what’s this about going to India? You brought me all the way to Atlanta to expound on the virtues of your iPhone?” After a short pause, I tried again, “My apologies Hercule, allow me to repeat my question - why are we going to India?”


In his aristocratic bravado, he raised his cup to his lips as he leaned back in his chair and smiled, “Patience my boy, we have a long flight ahead of us. We will review all the facts of the case at that time.”


A few hours later, we were aboard our flight to Mumbai, India. We settled into our first-class accommodations. While swirling, a vintage Bordeaux Peridot began; “Our assignment is to recover a Ceylon Sapphire that was believed to be switched from a Paris boutique just last week. My thread of a lead is a text alert that an unusually large fine quality sapphire was submitted to a lab in India for an origin report. It’s a personal matter, Bontemps; for years, I've tried to pin down my adversary Dee Davies, a swarthy Welsh gentleman, who has tormented me. Through my observations of international activity from this amazing device, I’ve discovered the client who submitted the stone is none other than master Davies himself.”

“Are you sure it’s a Ceylon sapphire?”


“That is what the origin report will confirm. As I'm sure you are aware, Bontemps, the most celebrated sapphires globally, come from Sri Lanka - from the old English name Ceylon. The Kashmir region is another location of top quality sapphire which has long since been exhausted of the gem."


"Yes," I replied. "It's my understanding that sapphires also come from Australia, Thailand, Madagascar, other locations in Africa, even Montana.”

Peridot paused a moment to savor his Bordeaux, “This particular stone has been on display in Paris for many years. It lacked a pedigree, and my suspicion is Dee Davies has a potential buyer he’s meeting in India.”

“So, the stone is not in a mounting, it's loose?”


“Yes, the original mounting is still intact - most assuredly, the stone in Paris is an imitation.” A French colleague of mine, inspector François Vidocq, has confirmed that nothing appears to have been disturbed at the gallery.”


Upon our arrival at Mumbai's International airport, we were walking to our car service when Peridot suddenly stopped abruptly, “There he is Bontemps - that man just getting into the taxi, it's Davies! So, he is in Mumbai . . .”


. . .  To be continued.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

The Who Was - Series

In this episode, the Who Was? - Series . . . With over 250 titles, Penguin Random House Books Who Was?  - Series tells the incredible stories of trailblazers, legends, innovators, and creators. Are you a bibliophile, an individual who loves and frequently reads books (a bookworm)? What is it that compels you to pick up a book? Is it the cover, is it the title, how about an interest in a specialized subject, or just - perhaps it's a whim? One of my ultimate goals with these podcasts is to reach a young audience. I've found that reading children's books is a gratifying and educational experience. Yes, even grown-ups can understand difficult concepts. To my surprise, both children and adults seem to appreciate the experience. With education such a hot topic in the news right now, we need to be reminded that whether it's going to school, visiting a museum, or online learning, the goal of education (both young and old) is to nurture an interest in learning. William Butler Ye

Big Apple, Big Charge

In this episode –  Big Apple, Big Charge  . . . Welcome back to On the Fly, your weekly dose of quirky observations and unexpected trends. Today, we're fresh off a trip to the Scaffolding/Plywood jungle, where we witnessed a phenomenon that will make you rethink your relationship with the humble wall socket. That's right, we're talking about New York City, and it's . . . wait for ­­it — Free, ubiquitous electric outlets! New York constantly buzzes with traffic, jackhammers, honking horns, and helicopters. But what struck me most was the sheer volume of people glued to their devices while commuting and navigating the streets with hundreds of construction obstacles. It's like everyone's “plugged into” some invisible grid—phones, tablets, watches, headphones, earbuds, e-bikes—you name it. And that's where things get interesting. But, unlike our quiet suburban life, free outlets in NYC aren't exactly abundant. So, how do these New Yorkers keep their gadgets

What Time Is It

In this episode – What Time Is It . . . In the era before smartphones, let’s say we’re on a telephone call, and you ask me, “What time is it?” As a five-year-old, my reply is, "The big hand is on the two (2) and the little hand on the eight (8).” You would then say, "Alright, it's ten minutes after eight o’clock or eight-ten, right?" This is how we learned to tell time as children–remember? Well, what happened . . . During dinner last week in Westfield, NJ, a retired high school teacher told our group, “Did you know that children today cannot read the time on a traditional watch with an analog face?” “Why not?” we asked. “Because of smartphones and the proliferation of digital clocks.” “Wow! That’s hard to believe.” Welcome to this week's episode of "On the Fly." Today, we'll compare classic mechanical watches to modern quartz watches and explore an unexpected social shift. To begin with, let me take you back a few days. I’m a traditionalist and pre

It Runs on Steam

In this episode – It Runs on Steam . . . If you’ve seen Back to The Future III, you may remember Doc Brown's line, “It Runs on Steam !” Recently, I visited my good friend Billy in Westfield, New Jersey. Among his many other hobbies, Billy is a steam engine enthusiast. He proudly fired up his miniature steam engine and confidently explained its workings, which got me thinking . . . (Sound effect of Billy's steam engine whistle) Have you ever considered how environmentally friendly a steam engine powered by renewable energy could be? There would be no need for gasoline, batteries, diesel fuel, or Uranium-234. Imagine an engine powered by water—yes, water. I can hear the naysayers: "But . . .” Welcome back to On the Fly, where we dive into one of history's most fascinating inventions. Today, we're firing up a revolution – the Industrial Revolution, that is – with the mighty steam engine! For centuries, people relied on muscle, wind, and waterpower to get things do