Skip to main content

1740 Tsavorite Lane

Upon our return from India we spent a few days unraveling the sapphire mystery at Peridot’s home in Los Angeles.

Not long after I was hired to teach at the school of Gemology, Hercule Peridot completed his sabbatical there and resumed his duties at the University. He had long since retired from his teaching as a tenured professor of Geological Sciences. The son of a wealthy businessman, he never wanted for money. He had moved west to earn his Ph.D. from Stanford.

The access road was a narrow winding climb. What emerged was a low profile bungalow nestled in the Hollywood hills. Peridot’s home at 1740 Tsavorite Lane was rather spartan on the outside but would prove quite comfortable inside.

“Thank you for the kind invitation.” I said as we entered through the large turquoise door, the feeling of spaciousness was overwhelming. The entryway contained Amethyst geodes, sentinels guarding the front entrance. Large skylights filled the space with soft light.

“Welcome to my humble abode Adamas,” said Peridot with a sly grin.

It was a three-story, three-bedroom home built into the hillside; we entered on the second level, hardwood floors, and a spiral staircase near the fireplace. Books festooned the shelves, meticulously organized and carefully labeled.

“So this is your Petite Versailles,” I remarked with a smile.

Peridot nodded, “Why yes . . . I find it very comfortable.”

Peridot appreciated technology, nonetheless relished the smell and feel of bound leather books, his entire house a library. “During the planning my specific instructions to the architect - built in bookshelves throughout the house,” said Peridot. “This will be your room Adamas, make yourself comfortable, we will chat later this evening over dinner, to review our findings in Mumbai.”

My room was on the third level adjacent to Peridot’s study – I stopped to admire the panoramic view of the City of Angels.

Once unpacked, I couldn’t help but wander into his study out of sheer curiosity. On the shelves were mineral specimens, gemstones, and carvings. One piece in particular caught my eye. It was a rather large ring with an intense yellowish green stone. I examined it carefully. This is a spectacular gem, I must ask about it later.

During our many video chats in recent years I could now see how he was able to always stay within the frame of the video as he moved around his office. Mounted on the walls were three webcams that appeared to use face detection technology, “Voilà . . . so that’s how he does it,” I muttered to myself.

It was a large comfortable room well illuminated with diffused light from a skylight. There were four large flat screens above an imposing oak desk. As I stood examining the room my hand caressed the office chair; it was supple chocolate brown leather exhibiting a luster much like his shoes. There was a full bar with stools in the corner, a group of matching leather chairs surrounding a round table in front of a fireplace. The west wall was a large sliding glass door that exited to an inviting deck . . . in all the most luxurious room in the house, so it seemed.

Our trip had been a long one; rather fatigued, I withdrew to my room to get in a nap . . .

Bing – bong – bing – bong, the Westminster clock chimed, it must have been about five o’clock when I awoke. Built into the nightstand was an intercom, there was a message light glowing. The text message, “Dinner at 6:00, join me in the kitchen on the first floor – Peridot.” I glanced at my phone and the same text alert was there. My phone was synchronized with the intercom system. Incredible. I tapped it to engage the digital assistant, “See you then.”

Dinner was on the table when I arrived and Peridot was seated with book in hand.

“What are you working on?”

“Just a little recreational reading, Sir Conan Doyle. I find the adventures of Mr. Holmes very enlightening. They certainly exercise the mind,” said Peridot.

"Professor, in your office I noticed a ring. It was an intense yellowish green. I suspect it was a garnet.”

"You are correct Adamas, allow me to provide you a clue. The refractive index (R.I.) of that garnet is 1.740," said Peridot. He smiled, "When we approached the house did you happen to observe the street sign and address just above the doorway.”

"Of course - 1740 Tsavorite Lane." I broke into a hearty laugh, "That's a superb Tsavorite garnet specimen of you have there professor.”

"Thank you, would you like a little wine with dinner?”

“Oui, s'il vous plait - have you heard from our client in India, Mr. Kaniyar?”

Peridot looked up from his book, “Why yes, received an e-mail just this afternoon. It seems our friend, Mr. Davies, did return for the stone. He could be anywhere in the world by now. We may see his carefully-crafted doublet again I'm afraid.”

“Let’s not concern ourselves with that matter right now, enjoy your dinner . . .”

… to be continued.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...