Skip to main content

Feeling Human Again

In this episode, The Unexpected Thankfulness of Feeling Human Again

I’ll be honest with you: My triumphant return from France was not the glamorous homecoming I had imagined. No graceful glide back into routine. No cinematic jet-setter moment where I lift my suitcase off the carousel and wink at life like we’re old pals.

Instead?

I came home and immediately launched into a two-week performance piece titled The Great American Couch Collapse. My days blurred together in a haze of soup, hot tea, tissues, and desperate negotiations with the universe for just one nostril—one!—to function properly. The living room sofa became my emotional support furniture. And any creative idea that dared tiptoe into my congested brain was gently shown the exit with a firm but courteous, “Not today, friend. Try again later.”

When life hits the pause button like that—when you’re exhausted, sick, and mentally unplugged—how do you find your spark again?

Somehow, today, I felt it. A tiny shift. A clearing of the mental windshield. And it struck me that the thing I’m most grateful for this Thanksgiving isn’t the trip or the memories or the miles—it’s the astonishing, unglamorous blessing of simply feeling human again. Coming back to myself hasn’t been about grinding forward. If anything, it’s been about drifting until I found the right current.

So I shut down my notifications. Ignored the to-do list (which did not appreciate being ignored). And went back to the things that have always steadied me: picking up my guitar, wandering back to the piano keys, and letting myself read quietly in the early morning light.

These aren’t just hobbies. They’re homing beacons. Each one gently tugged me back toward the person I recognize. And the more I played and read, the clearer it became: the spark I needed wasn’t some new, future goal. It was a memory. It lived somewhere much older, much deeper—tucked away in a warm, perfectly preserved moment that still glows.

The Geography of Wonder: Cuba, IL, 1960s

Every time I sit with music or stillness, I get transported straight back to Cuba, Illinois, in the early '60s—my original landscape of wonder.

There, the air smelled fresh and clean, promising snow. Fall wasn’t merely a season; it was a display, a kind of fireworks show from nature. Winter crept in with a hush that felt sacred. Those weekends at Grandma’s house—good grief, the unconditional love in those walls could’ve powered a town.

That’s where the spark lives.

It’s in the hush of the first snowfall—the Christmas lights glowing on the town Square. The thrill of walking into Santa Land at the old True Value hardware store, staring at everything like it was magic because, in that moment, it truly was.

That childhood innocence still charges my batteries better than any self-help book ever could.

We’re constantly told to grind, hustle, and stay forward-looking. But sometimes, to move ahead, we have to turn inward. And backward. And softer. If you’re depleted, overwhelmed, or bone-tired, I hope you can find your own Cuba, IL—the place, the music, the ritual that reminds you of who you are at your most hopeful and unburdened.

Because getting back “On the Fly” isn’t about doing more; it’s about seeing the magic again. It’s about remembering the tiny miracles that lift us in the first place.

Today, I’m profoundly grateful for a healing body, a clearer mind, and the memories that help me greet a complicated world with something like optimism. I'm thankful that the lights on the Cuba, IL, Square still shine brightly enough to illuminate the path forward.

Here’s to renewed energy, a beautiful holiday season, and carrying those childhood sparks—that essential wonder—wherever life takes us next.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions. Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Agaib - a well written piece - and please tell us more about France.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...