Skip to main content

Stamps and Snow

In this episode, Stamps and Snow . . . 

You don’t usually walk into the local Post Office expecting a time warp . . . but here we are. All we wanted were stamps for this year's Christmas cards—yes, the old-fashioned paper ones that require licking, sticking, and hoping the Postal Service is feeling ambitious this week.

But holiday errands have a talent for slowing you down, almost like the universe whispering, “Relax. You’re not getting out of this line any faster anyway.”

So we waited. And while we waited, we talked (Are you surprised?).

Because the Post Office is one of the few places where people still look up from their phones long enough to talk . . . Maybe it's because they're holding packages. It’s the modern town square: part civic duty, part free entertainment, part sociology experiment.

The discussion began with holiday specials streaming on Netflix, Paramount+, and other services during this time of year. One gentleman who has lived in Vista since 1958 told us, quite proudly,

“Me, I’m still using my roof antenna.”

Incredible — he still watches TV with a retro-inspired antenna from Sears — no, the actual roof antenna he’s had since Kennedy was in office.

In a world where your Smart TV negotiates, asks for your Wi-Fi password, and requires a user agreement to turn on, his approach seemed revolutionary.

Naturally, the conversation shifted to childhood paper routes—because nothing brings strangers together like sharing stories about jobs that paid in pocket change and frostbite. He mentioned that his weekly collections in California during the late ’60s totaled a mere $1.50. A fortune if your main expenses were baseball cards and comic books.

That sent me spiraling back to my own paper route with the Canton Daily Ledger. I couldn’t recall the exact price, but I remembered everything else: the frozen fingers, the snowdrifts, and the winter of 1968, when A Charlie Brown Christmas was still a new thing and not yet the cultural treasure trove of holiday wisdom it is today.

With my newspaper bag slung over my shoulder and my warm, black Trapper-style hat pulled down over my ears, in Illinois it was brutally cold—cold enough that your breath froze before you could complain about it.

But the neighbors were warm. They'd invite me inside to thaw out, and while I did, I’d catch bits and pieces of the Charlie Brown special. One living room at a time, I saw the opening scene, another the school play rehearsal, and another Linus stepping forward with the meaning of Christmas. I watched fragments of the story, like a holiday scavenger hunt fueled by central heating.

Standing at the Vista Post Office in California this week—with the hum of chatter, the slow shuffle of the line, and conversations drifting between decades—I felt that familiar gentle tug of the past. It’s a reminder that sometimes the slow places in life are where the best stories unfold.

Even if those stories start with, “I just came in for stamps.”

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions, and don’t be afraid to say hello to your neighbors.

Comments

Patrick B. Ball said…
Don't forget to listen to the audio–click the link in the title of the blog post! (In this episode) Or you can subscribe to the On the Fly podcast on Spotify or Apple Podcasts. Just search for On the Fly by Patrick Ball.
Anonymous said…
Nice warm holiday vision-Thanks!
Don Hanley said…
Waxing nostalgic - and did you learn the cust0ms in France?

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...