Skip to main content

My First Piano

In this episode, My First Piano . . .

In the introduction, you heard my first piano lesson playing the melody Ode to Joy by Beethoven. Now, I'll admit I love challenging myself and learning new things. In January of this year (2023), I approached Lori and said, "This may sound a little crazy, but I want to learn to play the piano; what do you think?"

A little skeptical, her first comment was, "Where would we put a piano in our house?"

"I'm thinking of a digital keyboard."

"Well, you're not gonna move mine into your studio; if you're going  to learn to play the piano, we need to get you one for your office that will hook up to your recording equipment."

What a sensible, loving, and supportive wife.

So after a bit of research, going to a piano store, and trying out different pianos, I decided on a Casio CDP-S360, an electric keyboard. Why this one, you ask? Well, one of the things I discovered is it's better to learn on a full 88 keys piano or keyboard, and the second thing was that the Casio plays and sounds like a real piano.

Here's the advantage of a digital keyboard - it takes up much less space, and you never have to worry about tuning it. As a beginner, I didn't want to deal with all the different aspects of owning a real piano, including the price. If you bought or were offered a used piano, it may cost you more to refurbish and tune it than to purchase a new one, so I opted for a digital keyboard. This way, I was allowed to learn to play and not have to worry about all the added extras, so why a piano?

Well, one of the things I discovered playing guitar is I still haven't learned to read music. It's' much harder to learn on a guitar. However, on piano, I found that all the notes are symmetrically aligned on the keyboard in repeated patterns. It's much easier to learn to read music using the piano and then transpose it to the guitar, and the digital piano has so many more options in sounds that you can play with; here's an example of what I learned just a few weeks ago with Beethoven's Ode to Joy here's how I developed it, with no written musical score, using the sound of an organ.

Remember what you heard in the introduction? My beginner instruction book only had the first four bars of the Beethoven piece. But I had this sound in my head that I wanted to try and recreate. So, I taught myself the following, take a listen.

Ode to Joy audio rendition.

What you just heard evolved over a few weeks with experimentation and practice. Now I know the timing is wrong; I need more practice. My goal here is to document my ability on the piano and, in a few months, go back and see how I’ve improved.

My listening friends, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! However, remember this, people are not dogs, and learning something new is not a bag of tricks. Just ask our eight-year-old who is learning to play the violin. I agree with her, learning to play an instrument - "It's fun!"

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening; see you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...