Skip to main content

Doing Nothing

In this episode (178) – Doing Nothing . . .

I'm lost - it's our first morning, Monday, October 24, 2022, at Curry Village in Yosemite National Park. For those who follow my blog, you know I'm an early riser; yes, up at 4:30 daily, with no alarm clock, wide awake and ready to start the day (five a.m. is my idea of sleeping in). However, let's do a reality check, an essential part of vacation is Lori's time to sleep in, and rightfully so.

Sitting on the porch of the community building at Camp Curry with Nothing but my thoughts as if a bolt of lightning struck me; most people in the twenty-first century are allergic to silence and a lack of something to do. It's as if they're afraid of their thoughts.

Don't believe me? Just look around; people on their phones, working on a project, watching TV, playing games, surfing the Internet, reading a book, preparing a meal, cleaning the house, flossing their teeth, you get the idea. They are always doing. I'm as guilty as you.

But what if you're up early and everyone is sleeping throughout the entire camp, no services open, no place to sit at a desk, no pad or pencil to write with, and by God, it's cold 32 degrees! Your phone is charging back at the cabin, pitch darkness, trees towering around you. The only piece of tech you have is your headlamp. And, of course, warm clothes, hiking boots, a hat, and gloves.

What to do?

My first instinct, I'll get in a brisk morning walk. There are path lights to the restrooms within the confines of Curry Village, but once you get past the parking lot - Darkness. Look up to see the stars, but unlike wilderness camping, in the high Sierras, you are engulfed by trees. It's quiet; you hear the rhythm of your footfalls, the rustling of the leaves, smell the sweet pines, the vapors from your breathing form clouds in front of you, and you can see just a few feet, Nothing stirring. So, after about 30 minutes of stumbling around the trails in the dark, I returned to the community building and took up rocking on the porch.

Once seated, my first thought was, huh; coffee would be good. If we were camping, I would have lit the Wisperlite stove, boiled some water from the lake, and warmed myself with a cup of coffee. The coffee shop across the way would not open for another 45 minutes, 6:30 a.m.? The community building and breakfast pavilion 7:00 a.m. So, content to rock on the porch, my thoughts started organizing this week's podcast. What was I thinking, no laptop, no WiFi, no connection?

Then, finally, I accepted that being on vacation sometimes means letting go and doing Nothing. Let the years of programmed conditioning of your work schedule, activity schedule, exercise schedule, and daily routines slip away for a time. All those activities will catch up to you all too soon.

My listening friends, don't panic; it's ok - relax, enjoy the silence, and permit yourself to occasionally Do Nothing.

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. I'll see you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...