Skip to main content

Yosemite Stories

In this episode (179) – Yosemite Stories . . .

Have you ever Googled Yosemite Stories? If so, you will learn how Galen Clark and others lobbied to protect Yosemite Valley from development, ultimately leading to President Abraham Lincoln’s signing of the Yosemite Grant in 1864. How John Muir was instrumental in expanding the park’s boundaries, and many more.

However, I would like to share a “not so famous” story after our recent visit—an experience from the ever-changing landscape of people who visit there and their grand expectations.

When you arrive in Yosemite valley and get settled, the sublime way to enjoy the park is to stroll. Take in the sights, sounds, and smells. For those who refuse to walk (and let me say there are a lot) or there comes a time when you can’t walk anymore - thankfully, they have free shuttles that take you to the most popular destinations: Yosemite Village, El Captain Meadow, Yosemite Falls, Curry Village, among others.

The buses begin at 7:00 a.m. each day during the fall season and run about every 30 minutes. Be patient; according to one driver, after COVID, they went from 69 to 16 full-time drivers.

It was day two of our 2022 adventure. We decided to catch the first shuttle out of Curry Village to Degnan’s Deli for breakfast. Now at that hour, you have the bus to yourself; no one seems to ride that early. After a few stops, the bus driver asks, “Where are you going?”

“Degnan’s Deli.”

So I walk to the front and begin conversing with the driver.

“This bus is quiet this morning; where is everybody?”

“Yes, not many early riders.”

“How long have you driven the Yosemite shuttle?”

“Fifteen years.”

“I’ll bet you’ve seen a few weirdos?”

“Oh, yeah - I could write a book about all the strange requests we get from folks. This time of year, it’s not so bad, but summer tends to wear on your patience.”

“Can you give me an example?”

What follows has to be the all-time zinger; I laughed until I cried.

“Of course - it was summer heat; the park was extremely crowded, with lots of lines of very impatient people. This lady steps up on the bus and approaches me, and as serious as a trip to the emergency room,” she asks,

“Is this the bus that will take me to the top of Half Dome?”

“Now you must understand that as public servants and park employees, we do our best to ensure everyone enjoys their time in Yosemite. And with the best intentions, try to lighten the mood with humor.”

With disgust and a scowl, this woman would have nothing of it.

“Are you making fun of me,” she barked.

“Not all, ma’am; this bus does not go to the top of Half Dome, I’m sorry.”

“Huh, then I’ll just have to wait and take the next bus, young man - let me off!”

Ok, I get it - this is 2022, and yes, in our I want it now, smartphone age of convenience, entitled folks expect you to fulfill their every request. But I’m sorry to get to the top of Half Dome; it’s a full day’s climb (8,842 ft.) and requires plenty of technical expertise. Take a hike, lady!

Of course, the driver did not say that, but it was just one of those memorable Yosemite stories from that driver on our way to breakfast.

The moral of the story; while visiting Yosemite or any National Park, be sure to take time to observe the habits of others. Also, given the opportunity, take the time to chat with your driver. It doesn’t take long to realize some of the crazy expectations people have. And, remember, a little humor goes a long way.

I’m Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. I’ll see you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...