Skip to main content

We Remember Moments

Podcast, "We Remember Moments."

"We don't remember days; we remember moments."

Wrapped in the cozy warmth of a down bag, I'm jolted awake from a deep slumber - nature calls. The rustle of my sleeping bag shatters the silence. The sweet aroma of the mountain air fills the senses, and that ever-present biting cool crisp air on your cheeks!

It's day three of my first wilderness-backpacking trip in the High Sierra Mountains (elevation 10,500 feet), 20 miles southwest of Bishop, California, camped at Dingleberry Lake.

The zipper moans as you free yourself, then the struggle to find your wool sweater, pants, and shoes to stumble into the brisk morning air. Another zipper whines as you quietly crawl to escape the protection of your mountain shelter.

Darkness surrounds you. It's early morning, late summer. It's tranquil, except for the soft gurgle of the trout stream that lulled you to sleep last night. Finally - clear weather, the rains have stopped; millions of stars twinkle like tiny sparkling diamonds against a pitch-black sky.

Orion, the hunter, is visible in the eastern sky; careful inspection, you can see the nebula glow.

Will it rain today? We need to break camp. No rush. Time on the mountain passes at a gentle pace. Has it only been three days? The deluge of rain, sleet, and snow on the high peaks is but a memory now. However, this morning, it's cold, crisp, and clear. Ah, a pristine sky, it looks like we can expect another beautiful day in the High Sierra Mountains.

My camping partner emerges from hibernation; his tent covered with a layer of ice, shaking off the cold, he says in a whisper, "Lets' shoot the sunrise on these peaks that surround our campsite."

We make our way to the edge of the lake, set up the tripod and camera, then sit back and experience the “magic of the mountains” as the morning sun caresses the peaks. Softly the blackness fades away, and the very tip of the mountains begin to glow. What a glorious experience!

This morning is the culmination of an adventure that began Friday, September 9, 2011, with an invitation to join Robert and Brendan on a late summer wilderness expedition.

“I know it’s late notice, but we would love to have you go with us on this trip?” Says Robert.

My response was immediate, "Yes, I'm in!" I was ready. Well, I thought so. Just a few months before, I had purchased a backpack with the anticipation of such a trip. As we began to collect our gear for the trip, I proudly pulled my new backpack from the garage; Brendan's response was immediate, "Not with that tiny pack. We need to share food, cooking gear, a tent, and supplies. We'll stop in Bishop; you can rent a pack."

Simultaneous thoughts began to whirl through my mind; anticipation, confusion, apprehension, what will we need to pack, how much will we carry? Three days, will I be able to pack the necessary load and keep up?

With a reassuring pat on the shoulder, Robert says, "No problem, it's easy - you'll see." So, with that assurance, we set off. We packed the truck to the hilt with equipment, food, and supplies for our weekend adventure in the Sierras'.

Yes, this was a glimpse of my first wilderness mountain adventure – upon reflection, I'm filled with inner peace and a feeling of accomplishment—an experience I'll treasure for a lifetime.

My listening friends, the next time you're presented with the opportunity to backpack the Sierra's with seasoned travelers, don't hesitate, say, "Yes, I'm in!" You, too, will be exhilarated by the experience; we remember moments!

"Won't you be my neighbor?" If you enjoy our weekly visits, please share them with a friend.

This is Patrick Ball; thanks so much for listening. I'll see you in the next episode.

Comments

Anonymous said…
unfortunate lake name

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...