Skip to main content

Special Shoes

Podcast - Special Shoes . . .

Look down at your feet, right now. What do you see? Are you wearing shoes? You might be wearing slippers, flip flops, running shoes, supple leather dress shoes, or your most comfortable everyday shoes? I’m looking at a pair of brown, soft suede leather, around-town walking shoes. My go-to, most comfortable shoes.

As I was putting on my old faithful, everyday shoes to run errands a thought flashed into my mind. “When your shoes wear out you’re simply back on your feet” - right where it all started.

It’s said, “A journey of a thousand leagues begins with a single step.” That quote is attributed to Lao-tzu, the ancient Chinese philosopher who wrote the Tao Te Ching, born 604 B.C. Imagine how worn his sandals must have been?

But what about today? Your personal journey begins with a single step every day. Just how many pairs of shoes are in your closet, or under the bed? More than you think, I’m sure of it. I see you running off to count them, haha. Where will they take you today? And just what purpose do they serve? Let’s take a look.

It’s early morning, you leap out of bed, slap your hands together and say, “It’s a great day to get up and get after it.” - right? Then while fumbling in the dark for your slippers you step on a stray cat toy - ouch!

Or maybe you’re not quite so enthusiastic, one of those folks who practically fall out of bed. A padder - you like the sound of padding around the house like an ole’ bear with your paws. Either way, it’s comforting. Where do those shoes take you? To the coffee pot for an eye-opener? Maybe to the refrigerator for some juice.

Mine lead me to my computer desk, to write. I choose to start my day like you, coffee, juice, and a positive Thought for the Day.

After about an hour you start to get restless. Do you dash off to work or go for a morning walk? I’m up early - let's go for a walk, the cool fresh air will do me good.

This requires your special walking shoes. You slip them on and begin to stretch as you secure the laces. Once you’re out the door now it’s your quiet time, time to think and plan your day. How many plans have you made as you pump along with the rhythm of your heartbeat, a clear mind, and a strong body? Those shoes are priceless.

After breakfast, you hit the showers. Then carefully select your work shoes for that day. What’s today? Ah, yes, I’m presenting a seminar. So, we select our finest most supple black leather shoes with their high polish luster.

What’s this? I see the soles are a little worn. Indeed, these shoes have seen many cities around the world. They remind me of all the classes taught, the people I’ve met, and all the ideas shared, they are dependable. Mental note, “Be sure to drop them off at the local cobbler for new heels.”

It’s early evening, it sure would be nice to get a bicycle ride in. Oh yes, there are special shoes for that too. They have stiff soles and cleats. Hop on the bicycle, clip yourself in, and you’re gliding down the road. With a smooth cadence, the cleats allow you to you push with the right leg - pull with the left. Feel the wind in your face, and the exhilaration of speed. These are funny looking shoes, but they perform their job well.

How about your special vacation shoes? I feel “bully” when I strap on my hiking boots and challenge the high Sierra Mountains. The views exhilarating, clear blue sky outlined with the craggy mountain peaks. With every footfall puffs of dust rise from your boots, the peaceful sound of the buffeting winds murmur through the trees, you pause for a deep breath, the crisp aroma of the pines. Once again nature is your companion. Don’t you just love those shoes?

Whew, what a journey, back home, to those most comfortable of shoes. Your everyday, go-to shoes.

As you slide them on, remember this, “when your shoes wear out you’re simply back on your feet” - where it all starts - every day.

This is Patrick Ball, thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Karl said…
I go bare foot constantly. My feet are now like fine Corinthian leather. I allow everyone on my staff to go bare foot if they so choose.
Sally Troutman said…
When did you find that you had a fetish towards men's foot wear Patrick Ball?
Patrick B. Ball said…
Never thought of it that way Sally. I just remember my Chiropractor (Dr. Burch in Lewiston) telling me the importance of having the correct shoes with the right support for a healthy back.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...