Skip to main content

Detentions

Podcast- Detentions . . .


Nod your head if you remember the “punishment” of being kept after school - A Detention.


Punishment? I’m inclined to say the kids in our school thought detention was a joke. Let me give you a couple of examples, stick with me.


My graduating class of 1974 (grades 1-12) attended school in three different buildings. 

First, it was Cuba Elementary, a design that followed the era’s more modern, one-story, flat-roof design aesthetic. Here we attended grades one - six. No kindergarten when I started school.

Then we transitioned to the old High School building on Main Street, built-in 1913.  A three-story brick design similar to Jefferson High school from the TV sitcom Happy Days. 

And finally, our new building which I believe opened in 1970, connected, to the old one, via the Gymnasium and Cafeteria.

It was a grand achievement when we finally graduated to the 7th grade, Jr. High on Main Street. This was our first introduction to detention.

Frankly, I can’t remember all the reasons we were put on detention, can you?

Why not?

Simple, in grade school, we had a disciplinarian that relied on the old school method, a spanking. Discipline was never administered out of anger or loss of control. Just one firm thwack.

During those formative grade school years, 1965-1967, the sting of Mr. Tarter’s hand-made paddle was a frequent event. The entire school respected this disciplinarian. His paddle was prominently displayed for all to see.

We received bottom warmings because we were disobedient.

  • “No running in the halls.”
  • “Stop shooting spit-wads.”
  • “Don’t throw snowballs at each other.”

However, when we moved to the High School suddenly the method used to “discipline” unruly behavior was - detention. For example, we were repeatedly told,

  • “Don’t slide down the banisters.”
  • "Stop shooting spit-wads at the ceiling.”
  • “No running up and down the stairs.”

I’m sure, by now, you get the drift - kids have selective hearing. They block out the words, Don’t, Stop, and No to name just a few.


My first detention - caught - sliding down the wooden banisters. My “so-called” punishment was to stay one hour after school and help the janitor sweep the halls, the stairs, and clean the banisters.


You guessed it - now sliding down the banisters (after hours) was even more fun, they were clean and slick. Well, that form of detention didn’t last long.


Then it was on to High School. Our new building had a beautiful modern library that honestly, average students of my academic standing really didn’t visit much.


You see, “I was in that part of the class that made the top half possible.”


Detention became, “Report to the library. Bring paper and pencil with you.”


So, it was off to the library. And let me say this “social distancing” is not a new concept. The group of us, and yes there was always a group, were spaced at least six feet apart at the tables so we would not spend that hour just chattering.


We were assigned an encyclopedia, usually the first letter of our last name, and told to start copying, by hand, on any subject for one hour. I learned more about Benjamin Franklin during detentions than any history class.


You be the judge, was punishment associated with detention effective? Huh, the kids in our school didn’t think so.


This is Patrick Ball, thanks for listening, see you in the next episode.

Comments

Kevin said…
And do you remember the name of that janitor? A janitor was thought of as a sub person...not quite equal to us superior types. His name was Dennis ..what? Can you remember? No, he was just a janitor. Yep...people are judged by what they do...very sad. Dennis was fine person and did quite well as a lowly janitor..not worth naming.
Patrick B. Ball said…
Yes, I believe his name was Dennis Bishop, everyone called him Denny. He was also one of the school bus drivers. Everyone loved him. He was much more than just the janitor. He was a fine person, always friendly, and helpful.
Anonymous said…
Do you know what the most common piece of advice was for beginning teachers??? Yep. Get to know the custodians and the office secretaries right away. They know everything about the schools. And that’s what I did in both high schools. Best advice ever. Dennis was cool. Put up with our shit pretty well.
Being the star student I was, I only served one detention. Lol I have no idea what the topic was, but considering how much you remember, it seems detention was good for you. Lol.
Patrick B. Ball said…
Ok, Anonymous you have me baffled–who wrote this response?

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...