Skip to main content

62 Plus Two

Podcast - 62 Plus Two . . .


It’s called a Metric Century (100 kilometers), we call it this year's birthday ride - 62 plus two.

I’m fairly certain that I will never shoot my age in Golf, swim the English Channel, or for that matter ride the Le Tour de France. However, since my 50th birthday, my self-proclaimed yearly goal is to complete a bicycle ride, at least my age in miles, on or near my birthday. Today,  August 16, 2020, this olé boy has completed 64 trips around the Sun on this planet we call Earth.


With the advent of Facebook, I’ve been able to proclaim from the mountaintop my proposed goal to all who will listen. Even to those who could care less. This serves two purposes; first, to sustain a foundational fitness level as we get older.


Dr. Dennis Waitley reminds us that our bodies are, “Our transportation vehicle to the future.” Cycling provides an exercise regiment and long-range goals to keep us healthy and motivated.


Second, it challenges me to live up to my commitments in daily activities and relationships.


Busy, irregular schedules make it difficult sometimes, almost impossible, to maintain a fitness program. But come what may, I’m a devoted cyclist.


The fact is, it’s not the ride that’s difficult (provided you properly train). The real challenge is - to Do What You Say you will do.


It’s a disarming thought, always do what you say you will do—simple yet profound. Demonstrating your commitment to integrity. More importantly, it is how you demonstrate dedication to yourself, your family, friends, and your community.


As Socrates said, “Know thyself.”


Well, it’s Sunday morning, I’m up at 5:00 a.m. preparing for our ride; a good breakfast, a shower, stretching, check the air in the tires, clean the chain, and inspect the gears.


Now, what most people don’t realize is my training partner and wife, Lori, is right beside me all the way. She plans our route, reminds me to eat something every hour, she is my photographer and cheerleader. Bless her, with enthusiasm, she is up by 5:30 a.m., has her coffee, makes breakfast, and is ready to hit the road by 6:30 a.m.


Why so early? Well, it’s summer - the dog days, it gets hot in the afternoon. As we roll away from the house, “I must be a crazy wife to participate in a stunt like this.”


“What do you mean? We play golf, go hiking, and do all the training rides together.”


Yes, as we get older it gets harder. But so does everything else in life.


In the next few days, we will both take some well-deserved time off. Next weekend we can start preparing for next year’s ride.


The lesson learned - always Do What You Say. No matter how silly and insignificant what you declare may come across at the time, people do remember. And most of all, it is how you demonstrate dedication to yourself.


This is Patrick Ball, thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm still comatose at 5 a.m. I usually wake at 10p.m. I eat 3 eggs fried in lard and 5 cake donuts with chocolate icing and sprinkles. I then watch 2 hours of 70's hits on Youtube. Today it was KC and the Sunshine Band. Cannabis smoking (medicinal) usually follows. My doctor J.K. Welch prescribed the cannabis after a tedious bout of gout I encountered. As dawn appears I once again seek my bed til the morrow.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...