Skip to main content

Sierra's 2017 - Part Two

My reading friend, as you enjoy my Sierra blog posts, by now I’m sure you get the impression that I’m obsessed with age. And maybe I am. Now that I’m on the north side of 60 honestly, I find it difficult to do what seemed so effortless just 10 years ago.

Committing to an annual Wilderness Mountain Adventure is my way of reminding myself that daily activity, regular exercise, stretching your imagination, proper diet, and a positive approach to living are what allow me to live life to the fullest. 

As Zig Ziglar would say, “You don’t pay the price for good health, you enjoy the benefits of good heath.” So, when I see someone older than me, (older than me, you understand, is 10-15 years my senior) engaged in the same challenging activities it gives me hope that you and I will be exploring life’s mysteries well into our 80s and beyond, God willing. So, let’s get to Part Two of this years adventure.

We left our heroes kicked back gazing into a starlit black velvet sky watching the Milky Way appear with millions of tiny twinkling lights above. The temperature was dropping quickly now.

“I’m turning in for the night.” Thinking, the warmest place for me right now was the comfort of my down sleeping bag, away from the wind, in my tent.

Those of you that know me well, know that I’m an early riser. About 4:45 am. I start pulling clothes into my sleeping bag to warm them before leaping into the morning frost. It was still dark, (about 36 degrees) the moon had risen in the east, illuminating the landscape, the skies crystal clear. You could see Orion's belt and a multitude of Constellations.

We have a tradition during these Mountain adventures. Our goal is to capture the golden glow of “first light” as it creeps down the peaks. In September, in California, this happens around 6:30 am. To my surprise, I watched daylight come without fire on the peaks. That’s odd, I thought. Looking at my Topo Map I realized that our campsite on Upper Lamarck Lake was nestled behind a much higher range of the Sierra’s and the Sun was still hidden behind that horizon.

So, I decided to carefully traverse the lake to another vantage point. For those not familiar with high elevation terrain, this means bounding between very large boulders, paying close attention to each step, or you  end up in a freezing cold lake. It was about 6:40 am, by then. So, when I stopped and looked up suddenly, very unexpectedly, the mountain began to glow! No creeping down the peaks, just POW there it was - Fantastic!

Now, the best part of having a base camp is exploring the Sierra’s without a 35-40 pound pack. It’s also a huge advantage when your backpacking partner is a seasoned Mountaineer and Geologist. So, with a small fanny pack, the 10 essentials, lunch, water, and our hiking poles we set off to explore an area North West of our camp, the Wonder Lakes (click the link to see Google maps location).

According to the map, this area was about one mile from our campsite, no problem, right . . . wrong. Day hikes are ‘off trail” adventures where very few venture. The challenge is to carefully pick your way UP and Down sheer cliffs; over huge boulders, getting trapped in a crevasse formed by an ancient glacier, working your way to a higher elevations, exploring verdant hidden meadows, and to our surprise discovering 10 beautifully hidden waterfalls not visible from the trails.

What an epic hike!

“Let’s go up just one more level,” Brendan would say after conquering a waterfall.

Apprehensively, “I don’t know, How do we get back to our camp from here, I’m exhausted?”

“No problem, we’ll drop down to Lower Lamarck Lake and take the trail back to our campsite.”

“Are you sure that’s the best way?”

Sounds easy enough, well, by the time we get back to camp it’s five hours later and my FitBit had recorded over seven miles of hiking. Needless to say I was beat.

Well, as you probably surmised by now we made it home. 

Today, as I reflect on this years Sierra adventure I’m reminded once again of natures potential; exquisite solitude, exhilarating experiences, a beautiful companion, the delight of discovery, yet contrast with the harsh reality of survival.

As John Muir so eloquently stated, “Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you.”

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...