Skip to main content

Meet Peridot

Peridot: Photo Robert Weldon
Gemstones have been my fascination since childhood and, although in 1985 I embarked on the study of gems, I could never get a handle on practical gemology until I met Hercule Peridot.

My name is Adamas Bontemps; as you will see, I was destined to discover the power of that elusive skill, the science of deduction. That cold, windy February day in Chicago would change my life forever . . . 

It was 1982 when I first met Peridot; he was on the docket as the primary lecturer for a weekend gem seminar at the Natural History Museum in Chicago. It was a three-day affair. Peridot’s expertise was diamonds; in his flamboyant, jocular style, he captivated the audience with the power of the spoken word. The history, lore, the remarkable properties, and most of all, his enthusiasm and love for the study of that elusive gem. Day two of the conference, it was as if my mind was radiated by a glowing light, “That’s exactly what I want to do!” That day was magic; my purpose unexpectedly became clear, become a Gemologist. It was crystal clear to me now - my course was set.

One week later, doubts began to flood my thoughts. What was I thinking? The obstacles were immense; of course, it would mean quitting my job, packing all my belongings, and moving to California. No income, no inheritance, no visible means of support. My resolve never wavered, three years later, alone in my car, driving cross-country to pursue my dream in California . . . 

After a four-day whirlwind trip, I arrived in Los Angeles. With no place yet to stay, I went straight to the gemology school to see what assistance they could provide. As I walked through the double doors of the main lobby Peridot was coming down the stairs, I immediately recognized him and politely but confidently introduced myself.

"Adamas, Adamas Bontemps, did we not meet in Chicago about three years ago, said Peridot."

"Yes, yes we did," I paused while shaking his hand for a fraction of a second. He remembered me; I was thrilled. "We spoke during the Gem Seminar you presented at the Natural History Museum. I was the curious one with all the questions.”

"Yes . . . So, you've made the trip from Illinois to pursue your Gemological studies?" said Peridot.

"Absolutely, I'm new to all this and very excited about this next phase of my life."

Peridot was a pedantic man of nearly thirty-seven years, quite fussy in his appearance, tall and lean as a whip, polite, genial, with piercing yellowish-green eyes. He spoke with a British accent yet mentioned that he to grew up a Midwesterner. He sported a neat mustache to complement his impeccable dress. He always wore a fine vest, a necktie, and high gloss shoes. In his breast pocket, a clean matching square, which doubled as his gem cloth. On his right hand was a large Peridot ring. Much later, I would learn, his acquired taste for de vin rouge kept his senses keen.

One memorable afternoon, our Gem Identification class instructor mentioned that Professor Peridot wanted to see me in his office after class. This was my chance; given the opportunity, I would present what I considered a curious gemological challenge. Just how keen were his observation skills? I had to find out. Years earlier, I had acquired a ring sold to me as Jade, its true identity a mystery. My limited knowledge of gems led me to speculate, Nephrite or possibly Jadeite!

"You wanted to see me, Professor Peridot?"

"Yes, Mr. Bontemps, it seems you've been accommodating with the science and math portion of the curriculum to other students in the classes; I've heard very favorable comments from the instructors as well as the students during your short time here. Have you considered your future after completion of this program?"

"I'm considering staying in Los Angeles to gain some experience in the jewelry industry."

"Excellent, my boy; I want you to consider coming back to the school as one of our instructors." Said Peridot.

To curb my excitement, I quickly shifted the conversation. "Professor, if you have a moment, I have a little challenge for you. What do you make of this ring? How would you prove the stone's identity?” I said, placing the ring in his outstretched hand for examination.

He immediately took out his magnifier (trade term triplet). “It's elementary, my boy; you must first gather the necessary clues. Sound gemological reasoning begins with indispensable detailed observation; tell me, what do you see as the color of this stone?”

With a smirk, I responded, "Green, of course, but can we determine the true color without the proper lighting?”

“Let us not quibble over details, allow me to inspect the piece.” Peridot went on talking as he examined, “Next we check the stone's transparency; examine the cut, check for phenomena, examine the polish luster, check for fire, the heft of the piece, and possible assembly, any fractures, and if so fracture luster.” He studied it thoroughly for about three minutes and handed it back to me with an indignant look. “You call this a challenge. Why should I squander my time with such nonsense?”

“What do you mean?”

“My analysis; you purchased this ring in a pawn shop, it appears you paid very little for it.”

“How can you be so sure?” I asked?

“Well, the gold is stamped 10k, the casting and the shank are skinny, and it appears to have been re-sized. Note the difference in the thickness at the apex of the shank, re-sized by an amateur, I would say. Notice the graver marks; someone has added this crosscut design feature after the ring was cast." he paused to check the clock.

"The tablet-shaped stone itself, note the variation in thickness of the tablet. Note the spinach green color. Also, as you rub the stone with your thumb, it obviously exhibits a greasy luster. The surface is somewhat irregular and could stand some re-polishing. The stone is translucent with these green flecks of mica within the structure. This is typical of material from Wyoming; fine quality Jadeite from Burma has a more homogenous texture free from these annoying spots. All in all, this is obviously Nephrite, an inexpensive piece.”

“You’re absolutely sure?" He must have seen me glance at the refractometer on his desk. "My understanding, to separate Nephrite from Jadeite, the key is refractive index (R.I.), 1.61 and 1.66 respectively, is it not? You have not taken an R.I.?

“My dear Adamas, calm down,” said Peridot, “this is exactly why we must get you past the obvious, just the gemological facts – you must learn to trust your observational skills and think deductively.” He leaned back in his office chair and smiled, “Deduction is the synthesis of observation, art, and science. You have missed everything of importance. You have hit upon the method with your recent training, and you have a quick eye for color. However, you must never simply rely on general impressions, my boy, but concentrate on the details. A skillful gemologist is very careful indeed what he allows into the deep reaches of his mind. So it is with the science of deduction, eliminate all unnecessary data. Expertise in ones' field comes from the study of only the essential information as it relates to the profession.”

That day my admiration for his powers of observation increased wondrously. That day, I made a vow to my new friend, “Today marks the beginning of my practicing the time-honored methodology of observational discovery.”

His green eyes twinkled, “Congratulations, my boy, you've taken the first step - the science of deduction, like any skill, must be practiced daily to be perfected.”

. . . As I document this first account, "Parbleu, that was over 36 years ago, that's hard to believe, stay tuned."

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Hi Adamas - you are a writer, Mr. Bontemps - How about Adamas Nonevie?
Bring us, the readers, into your world right away. LIKE: As I left the museum I was floating. Nothing had ever excited me like this vision of beautiful gems. I wanted more! But how do I do that? And stay in your present - very few sentences ABOUT and more in the present like - Right there in front of the old office building THE MAN PERIDOT himself stood on the top step.
Shaking in my boots and in a shaking voice, I stuttered, "Uh. Mr. Peridot...... " The dialogue with Peridot is pretty good.
Put more details . like - I climbed into my old but shiny l984 Ford (or whatever) with my $87.64 in my pocket and headed for California where I heard......

Most Popular of All Time

The Who Was - Series

In this episode, the Who Was? - Series . . . With over 250 titles, Penguin Random House Books Who Was?  - Series tells the incredible stories of trailblazers, legends, innovators, and creators. Are you a bibliophile, an individual who loves and frequently reads books (a bookworm)? What is it that compels you to pick up a book? Is it the cover, is it the title, how about an interest in a specialized subject, or just - perhaps it's a whim? One of my ultimate goals with these podcasts is to reach a young audience. I've found that reading children's books is a gratifying and educational experience. Yes, even grown-ups can understand difficult concepts. To my surprise, both children and adults seem to appreciate the experience. With education such a hot topic in the news right now, we need to be reminded that whether it's going to school, visiting a museum, or online learning, the goal of education (both young and old) is to nurture an interest in learning. William Butler Ye

Big Apple, Big Charge

In this episode –  Big Apple, Big Charge  . . . Welcome back to On the Fly, your weekly dose of quirky observations and unexpected trends. Today, we're fresh off a trip to the Scaffolding/Plywood jungle, where we witnessed a phenomenon that will make you rethink your relationship with the humble wall socket. That's right, we're talking about New York City, and it's . . . wait for ­­it — Free, ubiquitous electric outlets! New York constantly buzzes with traffic, jackhammers, honking horns, and helicopters. But what struck me most was the sheer volume of people glued to their devices while commuting and navigating the streets with hundreds of construction obstacles. It's like everyone's “plugged into” some invisible grid—phones, tablets, watches, headphones, earbuds, e-bikes—you name it. And that's where things get interesting. But, unlike our quiet suburban life, free outlets in NYC aren't exactly abundant. So, how do these New Yorkers keep their gadgets

What Time Is It

In this episode – What Time Is It . . . In the era before smartphones, let’s say we’re on a telephone call, and you ask me, “What time is it?” As a five-year-old, my reply is, "The big hand is on the two (2) and the little hand on the eight (8).” You would then say, "Alright, it's ten minutes after eight o’clock or eight-ten, right?" This is how we learned to tell time as children–remember? Well, what happened . . . During dinner last week in Westfield, NJ, a retired high school teacher told our group, “Did you know that children today cannot read the time on a traditional watch with an analog face?” “Why not?” we asked. “Because of smartphones and the proliferation of digital clocks.” “Wow! That’s hard to believe.” Welcome to this week's episode of "On the Fly." Today, we'll compare classic mechanical watches to modern quartz watches and explore an unexpected social shift. To begin with, let me take you back a few days. I’m a traditionalist and pre

It Runs on Steam

In this episode – It Runs on Steam . . . If you’ve seen Back to The Future III, you may remember Doc Brown's line, “It Runs on Steam !” Recently, I visited my good friend Billy in Westfield, New Jersey. Among his many other hobbies, Billy is a steam engine enthusiast. He proudly fired up his miniature steam engine and confidently explained its workings, which got me thinking . . . (Sound effect of Billy's steam engine whistle) Have you ever considered how environmentally friendly a steam engine powered by renewable energy could be? There would be no need for gasoline, batteries, diesel fuel, or Uranium-234. Imagine an engine powered by water—yes, water. I can hear the naysayers: "But . . .” Welcome back to On the Fly, where we dive into one of history's most fascinating inventions. Today, we're firing up a revolution – the Industrial Revolution, that is – with the mighty steam engine! For centuries, people relied on muscle, wind, and waterpower to get things do