Skip to main content

Sierra Reflections 2012

Ediza Lake - photo by Robert Weldon
"Whoa!" - for an instant my concentration lapses, feet flailing in the air, a quick flash of puffy white clouds in a clear blue sky, a golden brown hillside cluttered with very large boulders, twisting as I fall, the next instant I hit the ground hard . . . pain shoots through my left hip, "damn!"

My immediate thought, “Oh no . . . will I be able to get up, how will I get down this mountain?” Descending the mountain with hiking pole in one hand and fishing rod in the other, a slower pace, very unpredictable. A habitual quick check padding my pocket; camera, fishing rod, my ankle, my back, nothing broken. Ok, let’s try to get up. My partners, Robert Weldon and Brendan Laurs were further up the mountain photographing the majestic view completely unaware of what just happened. For me, this moment was the culmination of all my training and instincts converging in a painful flash. It was day two of our high Sierra adventure.

We had backpacked to Ediza Lake from the trailhead access point near Mammoth Mountain Lakes. Feeling rugged, we departed about 9:30 am ready to tackle any obstacle nature would throw our way. The air was fresh, with the sweet smell of the pines. Our expectation, good weather, and mother nature did not disappoint.

This sojourn began in golden meadows among fallen trees from recent mountain storms. Initially, our backpacks felt very heavy however, months of training had paid off, I felt surprising strong, my breathing was steady, no gasping for air in the high elevation. Unbidden, I took the lead as we began our ascent from 8,000 to 10,000 feet.  The views were exhilarating, clear blue sky outlined with the craggy mountain peaks. With every footfall puffs of dust arouse from our boots, the peaceful sound of a gentle breeze murmured through the trees . . . pause for a deep breath, the crisp aroma of the pines. Yes, we were free from the bonds of civilization once again. We were independent creatures like the wildlife that inhabited the meadows, streams, and lakes. Nature was once again our companion.

Around each bend new views would recharge our spirit and strength. There were numerous stops along the way to photograph the changing scenery. This first day was extremely challenging, the climb appeared endless. After six hours of climbing, we were ready to stop. “Not yet," Brendan reminded us, "just a couple more hours to reach the lake.”

As the sun dipped behind the mountains finally, Ediza Lake, it had been nine hours. We precariously picked our way to the designated camping area through an off-trail route, a short cut of massive boulders.

Mercifully, we arrived, . . . to our utter astonishment the first group of campers we encountered sat quietly reading a book, in their lounge chairs, under a canopy, with a large table, and a dual-burner Coleman stove! They must have seen my jaw drop in complete disbelief. There were no roads, much of the trail we had just traversed was very narrow and extremely precarious. “How in the world did you get all that gear up here?” I asked. An overwhelming expression of ignorance and embarrassment must have been obvious to our fellow campers. 

“A mule team, we’re here for a week,” was their response. “We’ve been here for two days.” No kidding! However, as we walked away a renewed sense of pride came over us, We made it under our own power, no mules, just determination, guile, persistent, consistent effort. "Let’s pitch camp and get settled.”

. . . “Coffee’s ready - you guys awake?” It was 5:30 am, before turning in we had made a pledge that we would photograph first light in this beautiful valley nestled beneath the peaks. The Minarets, the range of mountains that John Muir had dubbed the “Mountains of Light” came alive that morning with a warm golden glow. Lake Ediza provided a reflecting pool that merged the sky and the mountains together as one, what a spectacular sight!

Where's Patrick? - by Robert Weldon
That second day just kept getting better. Free from our heavy backpacks we explored the area then decided to take an afternoon hike straight up (1,000 foot elevation gain) from our campsite to Nydiver Lakes. “All we need are the 10 essentials and our fishing rods, the fishing pressure at Nydiver is minimal.”

Yes, the trout fishing was superb, catching one right after another. After catching our supper I was eager to descend back to camp. Feeling rather bullish I started down the mountain then whomp, I hit the ground hard! Slowly I got up, checked for my companions and patiently descended back to camp.

In my haste I had forgotten the first rule of wilderness camping, stay focused on the task at hand. No matter how strong you become, a simple fall can cripple your body in an instant, how fortunate I was to simply pull a muscle that day.

Today, as I reflect on this Sierra adventure I’m reminded once again of natures potential;  exquisite solitude, exhilarating experiences, a beautiful companion, the delight of discovery, yet contrast with the harsh reality of survival.

“We don’t remember days, we remember moments.” - Cesare Pavese. 

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...