Skip to main content

Family Stories

In this episode - Family Stories . . .

When you travel, you will frequently meet new people, and the conversation may lead to the question, "Where are you from?”

“Cuba,” - then I wait for their expected response.

“Havana?” They ask.

“Nope, Havana is about 19 miles from Cuba on the Illinois River.”

“Cuba, Illinois.” Hah, ha!

People furrow their brows, squint their eyes, then smile as they finally get the joke. This always elicits a chuckle and sets a friendly, humorous tone for the conversation.

What reminded me of this, you ask?

When handed the microphone, this was my running joke at the annual Ball Family Reunion on Saturday, August 12, 2023, hosted by my aunt Deanna Ball in Fairview, Illinois. I’ll admit this was probably the first reunion I’ve attended in about 50 years. Followers of my blog may know that my father's side of the family had nine children: Lawrence and Helen Ball's kids, who lived in rural Canton, Illinois. As each sibling married, they had, on average, four children. Do the math: husband, wife, four kids, times nine! When we get together, we are quite a crowd.

Many of my father's siblings have since passed away. However, their children, some of whom I had never met (see photo), have started their own families with many children and grandchildren. According to Deanna, as of this writing, there are now 190 direct descendants from Lawerence and Helen Ball.

Not surprisingly, many attendees had known me since I was a baby. My mother and I immigrated to the United States in 1959. I was excited to hear their stories; they are a valuable part of the recesses of my memory. As I write my memoirs, I realize how much was left unsaid or forgotten from those early days.

I recognized many familiar faces as we approached the park's tree-shaded pavilion. We exchanged warm hugs and kisses, and as I looked each person in the eye, clasping their hands - unexpectedly, tears welled up in my eyes. It was a glorious feeling of warmth and family.

Allow me to share a story when I met Charles's first wife (Dad’s oldest brother), who traveled from Wisconsin to the reunion.

Barbara - “I remember the day when you first arrived at Grandma's house with your Mom.”

“Charles drove with Grandpa to pick you up from Midway Airport in Chicago. There were no Interstates back then, and the trip was long. Charles had spent time in France, and he could speak some French. Everyone feared no one could communicate with your mother.

We all waited for you at the house, and when you finally arrived, it was dark and very late. You were so cute, the curly-haired French boy that did not speak English; everyone smothered you and your mother with hugs.”

Patrick - “How long did we stay at Grandma’s house, do you know?”

“Doc returned about four weeks after you.”

There was tons of food and dessert at the potluck family gathering, but fortunately, no Jello salad. Who remembers orange Jello with suspended carrot shreds?

Deanna had organized a trivia game about our Grandparents’ families. I was clueless until everyone shared their stories. However, when the microphone was passed, they were asked to speak in front of the group - complete silence!

Anyway, attending family reunions and upholding traditions is a delightful experience. If you have a Facebook page, encourage everyone to post and identify people in their photos - I’m terrible at remembering names.

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you in the next episode. 

Comments

I was at Casey’s in Cuba and think I saw you ride a bike and realized it was you …. The 8th a Tuesday around 11 am .
Patrick B. Ball said…
During our visit, I biked over 28 miles. 🚴‍♀️🌳🌞 This trip was all about the Family reunion.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...