Skip to main content

Gratitude

In this episode - Gratitude . . .

Have you ever experienced a giddy feeling of lightheadedness? I’m not talking about an event that calls for a trip to the hospital but rather a delightful moment that fills you with wonder! Such was the case for me just yesterday during my first visit to Normans Rare Guitar in Tarzana. CA. When I left that day, I experienced an immense feeling of joy.

I’ve wanted to upgrade my favorite practice guitar - a Squire Strat - and decided we needed professional advice. If you are shopping for a guitar, watching YouTube videos is fun, but you must get your hands on one and find an instrument that sings to you. One that tickles your ear with a sweet sound and has a remarkable feel in your hands. Today, there are so many variations of acoustic and electric guitars; how can one decide?

Admittedly, I was intimidated planning the trip to Los Angeles to pursue my dream guitar. For those unfamiliar with Normans Rare Guitars, I would best describe it as a specialized “guitar club” - a family of guitar professionals serving a client base of some famous guitarists. Check out the video on YouTube, Who Shops at Norms. Norm Harris has been in business collecting and procuring some very rare and valuable guitars since 1975.

I’m not famous and hardly a professional musician - just a guy moving into retirement who has been nurturing a passion for playing guitar for many years. After a three-hour drive, we pulled into the parking lot of Norm’s and strolled into the shop. At the register was Brandon Soriano.

“Good morning; how can we help you today?”

“Good morning, I’m Patrick - You’re Brandon, aren't you? I know you guys from watching Guitar of the Day videos; you’re the “Spec Check” expert from the “Guitar of the Day” YouTube channel.”

“I would like to upgrade my Squire to a Fender Stratocaster - but there are so many variations.”

Brandon’s expertise and willingness to share his knowledge about the Stratocaster line were remarkable. He answered all my questions and guided me through the vast collection of instruments, making the process an absolute joy. As previously mentioned, it is crucial to listen to the instrument you are considering and connect with the inner inspiration that drives your musical performance.


To that end, Michael Lemmo created an environment that made me feel valued as a customer and fellow musician. He demonstrated the guitar I had tentatively selected from the American Ultra Fender Stratocaster group.

He effortlessly played tune after tune, as he said, “To play Stevie Ray Vaughn, use this setting. For Van Halen, use this one. And for a smooth jazz sound, try this combination. This guitar is the most versatile in the Stratocaster line.”

And play he did, folks; this guy is an accomplished musician. Watch a few Guitar of the Day episodes he hosts on YouTube.

My new Fender Stratocaster is not just an instrument; it is now a cherished part of my musical journey. Also, we made history yesterday; I own a guitar played by the great Michael Lemmo. I'm confident that it will inspire me to create beautiful music for years to come, and I am incredibly grateful.

Again, Michael and Brandon, thank you for your unwavering commitment to providing outstanding service and creating a haven for amateur guitar enthusiasts like me. Be sure to check out Lemmo’s album Blue Comet on Spotify.

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...