Skip to main content

Watching the Wheels - Prt. 2

In this episode - Watching the Wheels . . .

In last week’s episode, we revisited John Lennon’s Imagine. He’s been gone for over 43 years, but his impact still lives on through his music. Don’t believe me; think about this; Another hallmark of music is it seduces you into listening again and again, planting a catchy melody and words into your subconscious mind. And as you circumnavigate life, accumulated experiences provide new meaning to what, on the surface, appear to be just words.

However, through a fusion of these experiences, emotion, rhythm, and repetition, the simplicity of the language takes on new meaning. For example, let’s examine the tune Watching the Wheels - reading the lyrics, how do you relate to them?

“People say I’m crazy
Doing what I’m doing.”

What’s happening in your life right now? As an adult, you’ve established your independent daily routines, and your life has many different facets apart from anyone else. Of course, others have their contradictory opinions. 

“Well, they give me all kinds of warnings
To save me from ruin
When I say that I’m okay, well, they look at me kinda strange
“Surely, you’re not happy now; you no longer play the game.”

Have you changed jobs, retired, or maybe you recently realized that playing the game of getting ahead (whatever that means), a promotion, a luxury car, or more money is not what life's about? Then you're labeled.

"People say I’m lazy
Dreaming my life away
Well, they give me all kinds of advice
Designed to enlighten me."

Lazy, huh? I’ve discovered that the most prolific people who have their creative life in balance are far from lazy. They are the early risers who make lists and take the time to think about how they can best serve others through creative outlets discovered through persistent effort. They set goals. Some refer to this as work, while others call it living in the moment - flow.

“When I tell them that I’m doing fine watching shadows on the wall
“Don’t you miss the big-time boy; you’re no longer on the ball?”
I’m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll."

Yes, my 30+ years of service with GIA was the BIG time in my life. I’m no longer riding that wheel, as Lennon says it;

“No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go
Ah, people asking questions
Lost in confusion
Well, I tell them there’s no problem
Only solutions
Well, they shake their heads, and they look at me as if I’ve lost my mind
I tell them there’s no hurry; I’m just sitting here doing time.”

Are you Doing Time? My listening friends, the pessimist, approaches their work just that way. A jail sentence. I challenge you to be creative; time is all we have. You can waste it or build something that makes your heart sing. Maybe it’s photography, music, poetry, tinkering, woodworking, writing, reading to children, or a podcast; the possibilities are infinite.

"I’m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round

I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go."

Let the past go; today is a new day, prodding you to Be all you can Be—an opportunity to test your creative imagination. The world plays no favorites. It does not care about what you’re doing; wake up; most people are wrapped up in their insular world.

Discover the work that continues to move you emotionally and intellectually; in turn, you will serve others helping you.

I’m Patrick Ball; thanks for listening; see you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...