Skip to main content

Bi-Directional Charging

In this episode - Bi-Directional Charging . . .

Can your electric vehicle (E.V.) power your home? It's a question that people are asking, especially with the rise in E.V. popularity. Technically, most E.V.s have enough energy in the battery to power a home for a few days, but it's not as simple as plugging into your charger.

All E.V.s store energy in their battery, but they lack the proper hardware and software to transfer all that battery power elsewhere. So, for most E.V. owners, the answer is no, you can't power your home from an E.V.

However, new vehicles like the Ford F-150 Lightning and the Chevy Silverado E feature bi-directional charging and can share that battery power.

Here are a few additional details about how this technology works, how you can turn an electric vehicle into a generator, and how long your E.V. could power your house.

First - What is Bi-Directional Charging?
Suppose you do want to use your electric vehicle as a generator and power your home in case of an emergency, power outage, or other situations like we've seen in California and Texas. In that case, you need a newer E.V. that supports bi-directional charging.
Bi-directional charging means your electric car or truck can send battery power in both directions. So instead of only receiving power from the wall charger, it can send it back into your home or the electric grid.

You may see this listed as "V2H" or "V2G" technology, which stands for vehicle-to-home and vehicle-to-grid. Either way, they're all a similar idea: sharing the battery power from electric vehicles with other devices.

GMC and Chevrolet just signed a partnership in California to run a pilot program where its new Silverado E electric pickup can power homes or even help send power back to the grid during peak load times. Some car manufacturers call it vehicle-to-everything. Ford set up a similar partnership with PG&E earlier this year.

How does Bi-directional Charging work?

The first electric truck in the U.S. with bi-directional charging is the Ford F-150 Lightning. This technology is built into the truck, allowing it to use the built-in battery to power tools on a job site or your home in an emergency.

However, you'll need more than just the truck to power your home. Owners will need an upgraded charging system. This power box (inverter) can convert the D.C. current from the truck into usable A.C. power for the wall outlets in the home. And you will be required to hire an electrician to wire everything safely (to code). Granted, it's more expensive than a traditional E.V. charger, but here's the value added.

Since the Ford F-150 Lightning is one of the first vehicles with bi-directional charging, let's use it as an example. Ford sells the 19.2-kW Ford Power Station Pro, which is $1,310 to add to your house. This adder comes standard on the F-150 Lighting extended-range models and costs extra for base models.

Once your home is wired to handle bi-directional charging, you're all set.

For example, the F150 Lighting has a 131-kWh battery, larger than most E.V.s on the market today. According to the EPA and the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the average U.S. household consumes around 893 kWh per month, or ~30 kWh daily. You can determine your home's daily usage by logging in to your energy provider and downloading your hourly usage over one year.

Let's do the math, at 30 kWh a day, the F150 Lighting 98-kWh battery could power the average home for about three days. Real-world numbers will differ due to the loss of energy from D.C. to A.C. and other factors.

Also, several other electric cars have far smaller battery capacities, often around 70 kWh, meaning you could get a day or two of power if they support bi-directional charging.

While vehicle-to-home capabilities exist now, expect to wait a while before it starts seeing widespread adoption. It's also worth mentioning older homes may not have wiring capable of handling the high current coming from the vehicles.

Face it, It's still new technology, complicated, and not as easy as simply buying a new E.V. and getting all the required chargers. It is the future, and we expect most new E.V.s to support this feature.

Another thing to keep in mind is the overall power demand. During the hot summer, we've seen power outages in California, Texas, and Nevada. For example, last summer in Las Vegas, there were several days when the city asked residents to avoid using air conditioning to help keep the grid running.

Considering the millions of E.V.s that will hit the road in the coming weeks, months, and years could worsen the situation. As a result, we see a future where cars can use and share power on the fly, as needed, for a home or an entire city grid.

We're still in the early stages of bi-directional charging and electric vehicles. However, as things evolve and improve and battery capacities increase, this technology could be vital for any electric vehicle buyer.

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. I'll see you in the next episode.

(Article repurposed from ReviewGeek by Cory Gunther.)

If you have a suggestion for a future podcast, email me at pball@sbcglobal.net or click the link  https://anchor.fm/patrick-ball/message and leave us a voice message.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Morning Coffee

In this episode, Morning Coffee . . . Now, I’m not saying everyone needs coffee. Some folks get by just fine on, I don’t know, sunlight and positive thinking. Me? I’m pretty sure I started drinking the stuff sometime around the Reagan administration. Reading John Gierach’s "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum (a book that should be required reading for anyone who sees sleeping on the ground as recreation) got me thinking about how we’ve managed to complicate something as fundamentally simple as boiling water and adding grounds. Taste, you say? Look, black coffee is an acquired taste, like tequila or cilantro. I just don’t get it. Gierach, bless his heart, mostly drinks his java streamside, probably while wearing wool socks and waders and contemplating the mysteries of the universe. As for me? My outdoor coffee experience is a bit different. Picture this: the High Sierra, where campfires are banned (to avoid agitating Smoky Bear), and I’m huddled over a Whisperlite , coax...

A B+ Kind of Life

Welcome back to this week's On the Fly . Retirement has taught me something unexpected: life gets a lot more enjoyable when you stop chasing perfection. Lately, I've been having an absolute blast playing executive par-3 courses like Rancho Carlsbad . A short iron, a sunny morning, and nowhere to be except the next tee—that's my kind of day. This Thursday, though, I'm raising the stakes. I'm heading to The Links at Lakehouse in San Marcos, a full-size par-71 course with enough water hazards to keep the local fish well-stocked with my golf balls. After shooting a 64 on a par-3 course, I've set myself a new goal: shoot an 89 before my birthday next August. Why 89? Because on a par-71 course, that's bogey golf—one extra stroke per hole. For non-golfers, think of it this way: par is like earning 100% on a final exam. Bogey golf is a solid B+. You got the job done, learned something, and probably had a lot more fun getting there. The older I get, the more I appre...

Resurrecting the '90s Graphite

Let’s face it, there’s a certain danger in reading John Gierach's Trout Bum . His wit, self-deprecation, and sharp, effortless satire are entirely infectious. If you aren't careful, his words will inspire you to drop everything, wade into a freezing river, and try to outsmart a creature with a brain the size of a lentil. In my case, re-reading Gierach recently didn't send me straight to the river. It sent me digging through the dusty, spider-guarded corners of my garage. In the early 1990s, seeking a natural escape from Manhattan's concrete canyons, I decided to learn to cast a fly rod. I bought an Orvis Rocky Mountain —eight-and-a-half feet, three ounces, built for a five-weight line—and had absolutely no idea how to use it. To avoid aimlessly whipping the water like scrambling eggs, I took fly-fishing lessons from Al Cucci, co-author of Hatches , on the Delaware River. With his guidance, I fished renowned waters: the AuSable in New York and Michigan, and New Jersey...

The Endless Work of Wisdom

It always makes me smile. The moment people learn I've officially entered what I like to call the Great Un-Working (retirement), they almost immediately ask the same question: “So . . . What do you do now?" I think they're expecting me to say I'm restoring a vintage sports car, hiking the John Muir Trail, or finally becoming fluent in French.   Instead, I tell them: "I live life deliberately." That's usually the point when I get a polite nod, followed by the unmistakable look of someone wondering whether I've simply found a more sophisticated way to say, “I’m becoming a bum.” Apparently, "living deliberately" sounds suspiciously like unemployment, just better branding. The truth is, what living deliberately looks like for me right now is taking time to synthesize a lifetime of experiences into these weekly reflections. It's slowing down long enough to ask what those experiences have taught me, while keeping the door wide open to the poss...