Skip to main content

A Look at 66

In this episode (166) - A Look at 66 . . .

Can you believe it's the middle of August already? School is just around the corner, and summer is coming to an end; this year, the 2022 Sierra adventure is in September. And - this week, I'm looking at 66. You're thinking, well, as another year slips by, we're wiser, stronger, pondering retirement, and developing a plan to stay active. The fleeting reality of time.

However, staying active when you retire is not just turning on a switch. An active lifestyle depends on foundational health habits built over many years to transport yourself physically into the future. My exercise program has always included bicycling, hiking, stretching, and daily walks to keep myself fit. But we're all destined to face that reality - as you age, you cannot do what you did as little as five years ago.

For example, reading old blog posts, I realized my last Sierra wilderness backpack trip was five years ago.

How is that possible?

In hindsight, I'm thankful I've diligently documented my adventures. On the Fly provides a glimpse through the "time portal" to events and activities that have filled my life with adventure, friendship, love, and immense joy! Oh, by the way, if you enjoyed last week's podcast - A Bear Sighting, for more, search my blog for Sierra Reflections.

Why five years ago? Well, just short of making excuses, when you reach the north side of 60, it's easy to land unexpectedly on the injured list. In 2021 I overextended my knee and spent the summer in pain, limping around the house; going to the Sierras was out of the question.

Rehabilitation took about eight months. I replaced my running shoes, fitted them with custom insoles, and cut back on my walking distance. Recovery at this age is a slow process. Just when I thought, great, my knee is back to normal - loading bicycles in the bed of our truck, I injured my rotator cuff.

Oh, brother, what's next?

So, I went to the chiropractor to check my posture and balance. Yes, I was a mess, completely out of balance.

Then to the doctor for a complete physical.

"You're responding well to the medication; your cholesterol is down. Is there anything you want to bring up?"

"I did something to my shoulder, and I have this sharp pain when I lift my arm."

"Looks like you damaged your rotator cuff."

He instructed me, "Do you have a large rubber stretch band? Hold your arms about shoulder height, and slowly extend and release the band. Three sets of 15 should do it. These exercises will restore your shoulders' strength and help heal your rotator cuff."

My friends, you don't appreciate how much you take your health for granted until something disrupts it.

Why am I telling you all of this? To remind you and me to practice this fundamental truth from Zig Ziglar, "When you do the things you need to do when you need to do them, the day will come when you can do the things you want to do when you want to do them."

Time marches on - that's the reality. Don't let your age be your excuse for not challenging yourself daily to scale your mountain!

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. I'll see you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...