Skip to main content

You've Got Mail

In this episode - You've Got Mail . . .



What's in your mailbox today? No, I'm not referring to your email; I'm talking about what's become known as "Snail Mail." Remember Postal delivery? Like all other services, it also has an acronym, USPS - United States Postal Service. Think back - I'm sure there was a time when you were excited to get the Mail?


Recently I've discovered a renewed love for postal delivery. Yep, I hear you saying, "What, you must be losing it. Our mailbox is always full of bills, statements, advertisements, and junk that ends up in recycling." (Be careful; you might find an unexpected gem among all that junk.)


Junk mail, you say, yes, I understand - however, through the kindness, generosity, and love of an eight-year girl, our mailbox has become a treasured friend. Taped to my office wall is a growing collection of handwritten thank you letters we unexpectedly received for small gifts of Lego toys we've given this eight-year-old. What a sweet gift of joy and sincere gratitude.


My listening friends, these are not just scribbled words on a page, or a store-bought thank you note; each is unique and special. For example, this week's letter replicates a Henri Matisse-style painting bursting with color. This masterpiece is fully illustrated with a colorful drawing of a Bonsai tree, fourth of July fireworks sketches, hearts, stars, multi-colored words, and carefully crafted art. What a caring demonstration of civility and the humanities. This young lady is destined to become a scholar; you heard it first here, On the Fly.


And I'd like to believe it's not just me that appreciates this beautiful gesture.


Imagine this: our friendly mailman pulls up in his Grumman LLV USPS truck and grabs the tray of Mail designated for our community mailbox; he sorts through each box and notices the printed handwritten return addressed envelope scratched out by a child, then stops for a minute and smiles. He is delighted, knowing his job of delivering the Mail can still bring joy to folks when they open such an extraordinary work of art.


Maybe I'm dreaming, that's ok.


Anyway, this summer, encourage your youngster to craft a handwritten letter (or piece of art) to a friend or family member. I guarantee it will make their day when opening their mailbox. Oh, on second thought, maybe you should write one too.


Enjoy your summer.


I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

I m getting internet satellite dish . Talked to many companies .Vitastar from Carlsbad CA yesterday -Can you shed any light on who s good for the rural area . I m Cuba address , closer to Smithfield . 21971 N Lasswell Road , 61427 . Any help ? Thanks a million !
Roberta Sherman said…
Viasat -correct name
Patrick B. Ball said…
Yes, this would be a good option for Satellite internet. https://www.viasat.com

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...