Skip to main content

The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum

In this episode, The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum . . .


Baseball fans, Major League Spring Training started on March 17, 2022. (My Cubs vs. Chicago White Sox) Opening day is less than one month away. My question to you is this, "Have you made plans which ballparks to visit this year?"

How about the American League Central, Kansas City Royals? Casual fans may not realize this, but baseball in Kansas City has a grand tradition. Just ask Johnny.

At 18th and Vine, history comes alive at the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City. A few years ago, while in Kansas City, I met Johnny. A dapper museum docent, seated in the lobby, sporting a fedora, wearing a fine vest, a large turquoise ring on his right hand, and high gloss polished shoes, Johnny took the time that day to share the following tale he heard baseball legend Buck O'Neil spin many times.

"It was the grand opening celebration of the museum, 1990. My hero, Buck O'Neil, had invited the stars of black baseball, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Barry Bonds, to name a few," said Johnny as we chatted that Saturday morning. "They all came except for one, who declined.

Despite his absence, it was a memorable day! John Jordan (Buck) O'Neil, Hall-of-Fame (2022) player-manager of the Kansas City Monarchs, was the first black coach in major league baseball, Chicago Cubs Scout, and ambassador! "He used to sit in these very seats and share memories with fans.". . .

Imagine this; purchase your ten-dollar ticket, then transport yourself into a world gone by. Enter the museum through an ole' fashion ballpark wooden turnstile and glance to your left through the backstop to see the Negro leagues' most famous position players frozen in time on the "Field of Legends" practicing their craft. You've arrived at the ballpark for the first pitch. It's a warm summer day. Satchel Page of the Kansas City Monarchs is on the mound. It will be a no-hitter. Scouting the field is a life-size bronze of Buck O'Neil in the pose made famous in the Ken Burns documentary Baseball.

Here you will see the stars of Negro League baseball from the 1920s through the 1950s. Many names come to mind; Andrew "Rube" Foster, Leroy "Satchel" Paige, Josh Gibson, James Thomas "Cool Papa" Bell, Walter "Buck" Leonard, Henry "Hank" Aaron, Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, and many more.

"Buck loved to tell the story that during the grand opening, Willie Mays was so moved by the moment he went back to San Francisco and insisted to his Godson (Barry Bonds) – "You get your ass to Kansas City and pay some respect to the players who paved the way for you to play Major League ball.

"Then one day, about a year later, a big limo pulled up out front with his entourage. You know it was Barry Bonds. He struts into the place all high and mighty, but after spending a few hours, he left with a tear-stained face humbled by the experience."

Yes, they were all-stars.

So, this year plan a trip to Kansas City, catch a game at Kauffman Stadium, then take a ride to 18th and Vine; you, too, will be moved by the experience.

You just might get the chance to chat with Johnny. Oh - while you're there, stroll across the lobby to hear the vintage sounds in the Jazz Museum; that's another story.

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening; see you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Sunflowers, French Steel, and the Yellow Jersey

Watching Le Tour de France this year, I found myself transported back to August 1983 as the Peloton in Stage 10, Bastille Day, flowed through the French countryside like a brightly colored ribbon. I was in my twenties, visiting family in the Charente-Maritime region of France, completely obsessed with bicycle racing—and convinced I was much stronger than I was. My connection to cycling—and to France—runs deep. I was born in France, and my very first real road bike, at age fifteen, was a Mercier . To me, it wasn’t just a bicycle; it was a work of art made from beautiful French steel. I rode that bike for miles, through high school, into college, and until the day someone decided they needed it more than I did. I hope they at least appreciated the craftsmanship. Its untimely disappearance led me to a Schwinn Voyageur, and later, when I started racing around Illinois, to a Raleigh Competition . But during that summer of ’83, while staying with my Uncle Jean Paul in Lagord, just north of L...

Morning Coffee

In this episode, Morning Coffee . . . Now, I’m not saying everyone needs coffee. Some folks get by just fine on, I don’t know, sunlight and positive thinking. Me? I’m pretty sure I started drinking the stuff sometime around the Reagan administration. Reading John Gierach’s "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum (a book that should be required reading for anyone who sees sleeping on the ground as recreation) got me thinking about how we’ve managed to complicate something as fundamentally simple as boiling water and adding grounds. Taste, you say? Look, black coffee is an acquired taste, like tequila or cilantro. I just don’t get it. Gierach, bless his heart, mostly drinks his java streamside, probably while wearing wool socks and waders and contemplating the mysteries of the universe. As for me? My outdoor coffee experience is a bit different. Picture this: the High Sierra, where campfires are banned (to avoid agitating Smoky Bear), and I’m huddled over a Whisperlite , coax...

The Endless Work of Wisdom

It always makes me smile. The moment people learn I've officially entered what I like to call the Great Un-Working (retirement), they almost immediately ask the same question: “So . . . What do you do now?" I think they're expecting me to say I'm restoring a vintage sports car, hiking the John Muir Trail, or finally becoming fluent in French.   Instead, I tell them: "I live life deliberately." That's usually the point when I get a polite nod, followed by the unmistakable look of someone wondering whether I've simply found a more sophisticated way to say, “I’m becoming a bum.” Apparently, "living deliberately" sounds suspiciously like unemployment, just better branding. The truth is, what living deliberately looks like for me right now is taking time to synthesize a lifetime of experiences into these weekly reflections. It's slowing down long enough to ask what those experiences have taught me, while keeping the door wide open to the poss...

A Tucson Typewriter Tale

One of the great joys of wandering without much of a plan is that the universe occasionally rewards your lack of organization. During my recent visit to Tucson, AZ, Robert and I were strolling through the Annex this afternoon, doing what tourists and newly minted retirees like me have elevated to an Olympic sport: meandering. The Annex is one of those places where every few steps there's another handmade candle, artisan coffee, or vintage object someone rescued from a garage sale and convinced the rest of us was always destined to become art. Then I saw something that genuinely stopped me. A young woman standing quietly behind a manual typewriter. Not a laptop designed to look like a typewriter. Not a quirky Bluetooth keyboard. An honest-to-goodness mechanical typewriter—the sort of machine that once announced every sentence to the entire office with a satisfying clack and enough force to wake nearby pigeons. With an iPhone 16 sitting in my pocket in an age when people write novels...