Skip to main content

A New World of Hope - Prt. 1

Podcast – A New World of Hope . . .

"Books are filled with ideas, and it's ideas that shape our lives."

Sometimes, a book captures your imagination, motivates you to act, and fulfills a desire hidden deep within your soul.

Let me introduce you to an author and his most recent novel that I just finished reading. But before I do, allow me to set the stage for how unforeseen pivotal moments can unexpectedly touch your life for the better.

In hindsight, one of those moments was an invitation to join a local writer's group after my early retirement from GIA in 2014. It was during that experience I met and came to know Don Hanley, Ph.D.

A former Catholic Priest who left the ministry to marry. Don earned a doctorate in psychology and has worked as a psychotherapist, graduate school professor, and counseling supervisor. His writings include professional articles and booklets, three novels, and he is currently working on a fourth. Don lives in northern San Diego County.

During my more than three years attending this writer's group, Don Hanley shared chapters of books he was working on in our group. Our very informal group's job was to listen to each other's writings and provide honest, constructive feedback to help improve the prose.

I witnessed Don receive scrap pages with scribbled notes that our group submitted to him. In turn, this feedback helped him transform his drafts into printed books. At the time, I didn't think much of it. Then, my life got busy, and I could not attend these group meetings.

However, I only partially lost touch with Don Hanley. Every Christmas, he would rewrite the lyrics to a familiar tune he would sing; we would video record that song and publish it to YouTube for his out-of-state family and friends as his special holiday gift.

Well, COVID disrupted everyone's life. And during our COVID lockdown, I lost touch with Dr. Don, as I called him. Then, about two weeks ago, I received a call from Don wishing me a Happy Birthday and an invitation to lunch.

"Absolutely! Funny, I've been thinking about you. I tried calling a few times, left a message on your voicemail, and was wondering if you were okay?"

So, we met for lunch. To my surprise, Don had just finished another novel, A New World of Hope. He signed a copy as a gift, asked me to read it, and got back to him with a review.

Here's my review posted on Amazon:

Don Hanley unquestionably struck gold with his latest novel, A New World of Hope. I challenge you to get this book, read it, then share it with others. It's about what's possible in your future.

This "Back to the Future" story of a history professor from 2141 who goes back in time and captures the hearts and imagination of a (2018) world filled with nay-sayers, political knuckleheads, and misdirected folks. You will not be able to put this book down. I promise!

The characters are people you know, would love to know, or have known at one time. The story exposes situations that will surprise and delight you. And quite frankly, knowing Don as I do, a quiet, peaceful man at times, he will astonish you!

Please don't take my word for it; find out for yourself. Get the book A New World of Hope, and pass it on. You will find it on Amazon.com. Congratulations, Dr. Don Hanley.

My listening friends, I can't say enough about how this novel moved me. If you're a Kindle reader, you can download it right now for a great price.

Yes, books are filled with ideas that shape our lives and inspire our world to change. Be proactive in that change. Check out Don Hanley's book, A New World of Hope. 

If you haven't heard, this podcast is now available on Amazon Music! Just say, "Alexa play - On the Fly podcast by Patrick Ball. Also, if you would like to be a guest on my podcast or have a question, email patrickball2011@gmail.com.

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Podcast - Part 2

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...