Skip to main content

When I'm Sixty-Four

“When I get older

Losing my hair

Many years from now

Will you still be sending me a Valentine?

Birthday greetings bottle of wine?” . . . The Beatles.


Podcast - When I'm 64 . . . 


With this pandemic still raging losing my hair is not the issue. It's not being able to get out. This summer vacation (2020) has come to a screeching halt. We canceled our trip to France and were still navigating restrictions. Lately, I’ve been reflecting back on childhood memories. What prompted that you ask? Well, one month from today is When I’m 64 comes true for me. A rather fortuitous time to reflect it seems.

I slid down the chute on the 229th day of the year, August 16, 1956. It was a Thursday in Angouleme, France. My father was an MP in the U.S. Army, from rural Illinois. And within three years he moved our small family back to the midwestern town of Cuba.

One of my most vivid and fond early memories was the challenge and freedom of that first bicycle. Mine was a red, single speed 26 inch Sears bicycle. No training wheels, just hop on and away you go . . . well, it was not quite that easy.


You see, at five years old, and about three feet tall this behemoth looked to me like The General Sherman - it was huge! (It never came to me in those wards at the time).


But, that did not dampen my spirit to ride, I was determined!


By Dad lowering the seat, it was possible to reach the pedals, however not quite enough to complete a revolution of the crank to power the bicycle.


“He’ll grow into it.”


That was Dads theory . . . in the meantime, he bolted thick wooden blocks to the pedals so I could reach them and ride.


My next challenge . . . “How to mount this monster?” No problem - just kidding - it was a problem!


When Mom or Dad was there to hold the bike, I would climb aboard like scaling a ladder. By myself, hmmm, there must be a way.


Our house, on seven street, had a wooden back porch with two steps about three feet off the ground. My (brilliant) solution, stand the bike beside the porch, mount it, push off, whee - now what? Once in motion, floundering around the yard, the next dilemma was,


“How do I get off this thing?


Unlike today, kids were not cushioned with helmets, safety goggles, and knee pads. This was the baby boom era, I’m thinking there were so many of us we were considered dispensable. Or, maybe it was the lack of creative marketing by the toy manufacturers?


Anyway, after falling more times than I dare count, the answer came in a flash of clever insight. Simply ride into Mom’s lilac bush and climb off! It worked like a charm, however that didn't go over too well with Mom.


It was some time before I was allowed to go out onto the street. Eventually, it was around the block, uptown, to school, and a few years later I was riding to Canton and back, an 18-mile round trip.


Since that time, however, me and my many different makes and models of bicycles have pedaled to scores of locations, and ridden hundreds of miles, far beyond the quiet streets of that small town in Illinois.


Thankfully, that curiosity and sense of wonder never left me. At 64 my bicycle still symbolizes freedom, fun, and a dependable source of independent transportation.


“I could be handy

Mending a fuse

When your lights have gone

You can knit a sweater by the fireside

Sunday mornings go for a ride” . . . 


This is Patrick Ball, thanks for listening. See you in the next episode . . .

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...