Skip to main content

News for Kids



Podcast - News for Kids . . . 

Kids do say the darnedest things.

If my memory serves me correctly . . . who’s kidding who here, who relies on memory these days. According to Google, the Art Linkletter Show which aired from September 1952 -September 1969 may have been one of the first to feature the innocent humor and light-hearted questions and comments that children provide. Do you know of other programs? I’d love to hear from you.

A new twist, on this time-honored entertainment you might enjoy, is the NBC News: Kids Edition hosted by news anchor, Lester Holt on YouTube.

This is a cheerful yet serious examination of issues that parents may have trouble explaining from nightly news broadcasts. Or for that matter the barrage of dreadful news we receive daily over social media, online sessions, and friends and neighbors.

Out of curiosity, what questions have you sidestepped today?

Let’s face it kids do ask the best questions. Pure unadulterated optimists. No admonition or holding back. Just wholesome to the point questions.

Here’s a recent example, “Can the sun kill Coronavirus?”

 I don’t know, do you?

Dare I say it, this “fun” news segment is dedicated to helping children and adults cope with the complicated,  confusing, and frustrating issues in the news.

Gotta admit I could relate to this one, two youngsters from Texas asked, “We’re getting less exercise than normal, how come we feel more tired?”

Or can you explain this one? “Everyone talks about flattening the curve, what is the curve?”

Want the answers, then tune in - you will be enlightened and leave with a smile. Then share it with a loved one. They could use some enjoyable news too.

I’m convinced this brief “good news” segment is just as calming and educational for adults as it is for its intended audience.

Check it out! Just search Google for - Nightly News: Kids Edition. You’ll be so glad you did.

This is Patrick Ball, thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...