Skip to main content

A Letter


From The Desk Of
Patrick Ball

Cherished friends,



During this COVID-19 lockdown, social distancing has allowed us to return to the basics; reading, writing, and arithmetic. Me, I'm learning to read music, write out chords, and work out the mathematical patterns to play guitar. Music is a very calming influence. It's also a lot of fun when you can recreate a recognizable tune. And now, to add to the confusion, I'm learning to play the ukulele. Check out Ukulele Mike on YouTube. What have you been up to lately?

One primary skill that has gone by the wayside is writing a letter. The acceptance of email, text messaging, and Facetime videos has made it too easy to throw a few emojis or partially spelled words in a message and hit send. Being a valued friend, I'm using this ancient medium to close our social distance gap. There is something therapeutic about the process of putting your thoughts on paper. But the real question is this, Is it worth mailing a single letter? Or will it simply be tossed aside? Reading this letter, are you concerned about the battery in your tablet or smartphone going dead? No. See, I've already dispelled a fear.

Baseball, my favorite spring sport, is currently on hold. Admittedly, I'm guilty. Instead of immersing myself in all the negative news on TV, smartphones, and tablets, I've been watching MLB Networks replay of All-Time Games. What's missing? The pivotal ingredient that makes watching sports a compelling pastime - is the suspense of what “could” happen. No problem, if you can't remember just search Google for the stats of the game you're watching. Nevertheless, listening to the rhythms of a ball game playing in the background while taking a nap is restorative.

Finally, in this disturbing time, for a calming influence and a voice of reason, may I suggest asking Siri or saying, "Hey, Google Play the Thomas Jefferson Hour Podcast." I've listened to this program for many years; it's excellent.

Be safe, keep the faith, enjoy the spring blooms, and if you are so compelled, write a letter.

All our love,

Patrick & Lori Ball

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholÄ“ , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...