Skip to main content

A New Era


Today a New Era dawns for the Ball family.

Not because it’s a new decade but today, January 31, 2020, we closed the back door for the last time at 531 North 6th Street, Cuba, IL. 61427, my childhood home for over 50 years, since March 1966.

That address (P.O. Box 606) has been emblazoned in the minds of my brothers and me for so many years we will never forget it. So many cherished memories, lessons learned, family meals, gatherings, special pets, hospital visits, holidays celebrated and friendships nurtured. In short - our Home. Funny, we always called it Mom’s house. Dad lived there to of course. They were married for over 55 years.

It was always home - where Mom lovingly raised her family. “Make sure you’re home in time for dinner.” 

Where Dad taught us to play ball. Fix old cars. The skills of an outdoorsman. Where my siblings and I practiced archery, raised flying squirrels, summer fish fries in the yard, watch the leaves blossom in spring, raking those same leaves in the fall. Shoveling snow for the neighbors.

Echos of Mom’s voice every morning on my way to school, “Quit jumping over the hedge!”

“Ok, Mom,” As I went sailing over the hedge to practice hurdles for the Jr. High Track Team.

And late one afternoon, “Dad help me!”

“What happened to you?”

“Fell out of a tree, broke my arm.”

“Surprised you didn’t break your neck, Mom’s in Canton with the car. Let’s hope this Ole’ Willies Jeep starts so we can get you the hospital.”

“But Dad, who’s going to finish my paper route?”

It was laughter (on my part) when the training wheels came off my brothers' and sisters' bicycles. They could not ride them.

“Told you, should have never let Dad put them on. You guys are babies, I never had training wheels.”

“How did you stop?”

“Used to ride into Mom’s Lilac bush and climb off, or just fall over.”

So many firsts:
  • A new Kodak Instamatic camera, remember the one with the flashcube.
  • My first BB gun. No, it wasn’t a Red Ryder. Daisy.
  • Remember the Sting Ray Bicycle - mine came from the local Gambles Store. But secretly we all wanted a Schwinn.
  • Polly my pet parakeet.
  • Then there was Pixy, the cute little Red Beagle.
  • My Mercier a 10-speed French Racing Bicycle - we actually went to Peoria the bike shop ordered it special from France.
  • A real record player - played a lot of Mom’s favorites. Elvis, Tom Jones, and Englebert Humperdink.
  • Wow! A Pioneer 8-Track Stereo system.
  • A 1965 Rambler with a straight-six. Bought it for $50.00 sold it four years later for a $100.00.
The list goes on-and-on. And I’m sure my brothers could contribute a few themselves.

Today truly is a melancholy day for me. Tears of sadness, joy, loss, and most of all hope.

I hope that the young family now moving into Moms' house will build a wonderful life and a comforting home just as my mother and father did at 531 North 6th Street, Cuba, IL.

Truly a New Era.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Morning Coffee

In this episode, Morning Coffee . . . Now, I’m not saying everyone needs coffee. Some folks get by just fine on, I don’t know, sunlight and positive thinking. Me? I’m pretty sure I started drinking the stuff sometime around the Reagan administration. Reading John Gierach’s "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum (a book that should be required reading for anyone who sees sleeping on the ground as recreation) got me thinking about how we’ve managed to complicate something as fundamentally simple as boiling water and adding grounds. Taste, you say? Look, black coffee is an acquired taste, like tequila or cilantro. I just don’t get it. Gierach, bless his heart, mostly drinks his java streamside, probably while wearing wool socks and waders and contemplating the mysteries of the universe. As for me? My outdoor coffee experience is a bit different. Picture this: the High Sierra, where campfires are banned (to avoid agitating Smoky Bear), and I’m huddled over a Whisperlite , coax...

The Endless Work of Wisdom

It always makes me smile. The moment people learn I've officially entered what I like to call the Great Un-Working (retirement), they almost immediately ask the same question: “So . . . What do you do now?" I think they're expecting me to say I'm restoring a vintage sports car, hiking the John Muir Trail, or finally becoming fluent in French.   Instead, I tell them: "I live life deliberately." That's usually the point when I get a polite nod, followed by the unmistakable look of someone wondering whether I've simply found a more sophisticated way to say, “I’m becoming a bum.” Apparently, "living deliberately" sounds suspiciously like unemployment, just better branding. The truth is, what living deliberately looks like for me right now is taking time to synthesize a lifetime of experiences into these weekly reflections. It's slowing down long enough to ask what those experiences have taught me, while keeping the door wide open to the poss...

A Tucson Typewriter Tale

One of the great joys of wandering without much of a plan is that the universe occasionally rewards your lack of organization. During my recent visit to Tucson, AZ, Robert and I were strolling through the Annex this afternoon, doing what tourists and newly minted retirees like me have elevated to an Olympic sport: meandering. The Annex is one of those places where every few steps there's another handmade candle, artisan coffee, or vintage object someone rescued from a garage sale and convinced the rest of us was always destined to become art. Then I saw something that genuinely stopped me. A young woman standing quietly behind a manual typewriter. Not a laptop designed to look like a typewriter. Not a quirky Bluetooth keyboard. An honest-to-goodness mechanical typewriter—the sort of machine that once announced every sentence to the entire office with a satisfying clack and enough force to wake nearby pigeons. With an iPhone 16 sitting in my pocket in an age when people write novels...

A B+ Kind of Life

Welcome back to this week's On the Fly . Retirement has taught me something unexpected: life gets a lot more enjoyable when you stop chasing perfection. Lately, I've been having an absolute blast playing executive par-3 courses like Rancho Carlsbad . A short iron, a sunny morning, and nowhere to be except the next tee—that's my kind of day. This Thursday, though, I'm raising the stakes. I'm heading to The Links at Lakehouse in San Marcos, a full-size par-71 course with enough water hazards to keep the local fish well-stocked with my golf balls. After shooting a 64 on a par-3 course, I've set myself a new goal: shoot an 89 before my birthday next August. Why 89? Because on a par-71 course, that's bogey golf—one extra stroke per hole. For non-golfers, think of it this way: par is like earning 100% on a final exam. Bogey golf is a solid B+. You got the job done, learned something, and probably had a lot more fun getting there. The older I get, the more I appre...