Skip to main content

Don't Worry Mom

"Don't worry, Mom, if it is your time to leave this world and join Dad in heaven, rest assured I love you; we all love you. We will be fine; you've raised your children well. I will miss you deeply."

On October 30, 2018, at 2:15 p.m. Mauricette Elaine Ball (Bontemps) left this world, with her family by her side, in the comfort of her carefully crafted home, finally at rest.

My mother was born in La Rochelle, France, on February 16, 1934. She grew up in a metropolitan port with a population of about 60,000 in the late 1950s. Her life dramatically changed at 23 when she met a young man, Donald Lee Ball, from Canton, Ill., while working at the lunch counter on the Army Base where he was stationed in Lagord, France. They married and moved to the rural midwestern town of Cuba, Illinois. Together they raised an upstanding family. Well . . . 

Mother cherished her family deeply. There were no Dr. Spock books from the 1960s to instruct her on how to raise her children. Maternal instinct was her guiding light. She provided unconditional love for her husband, four children, seven grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren, relatives, and neighbors. 

For over 55 years, she served her family in the same carefully crafted home. Mauricette, known as Marci to her American friends, served her community as a cook at Cuba Elementary School, a housekeeper and caregiver for the elderly, and a self-taught beautician. She picked apples at Gillam's Pleasant Row Orchard in Cuba during the fall harvest for 17 years. She loved to knit and crochet blankets and scarves for her grandchildren.

Mom's energy was boundless. Her home and yard were always tidy. When she visited us in California, she insisted on cleaning, cooking, and doing the dishes.

"Mom, you're on vacation - relax," we would say.

She would just smile, nod her head, then do precisely the same thing the following day.

You always remembered Mom's phone number; that never changed. You always knew what address to use to mail her a postcard from worldly travels, and she cherished and saved everyone.

"I want you to call me before you leave for your next trip," she would say. Then, "Call me when you land safely." Always ending with "I love you, son."

Mom's home is plastered with photos, postcards, and Christmas cards, dating back to the 1950s, lovingly framed or carefully placed in a photo album every. Memories of Patrick, Ronnie, Rodger, Michele, and her beloved Doc. Weddings, graduations, high school yearbook photos, her brothers, her mother, her home in La Rochelle, France. Every picture has a story, every story a treasured memory.

As a family growing up, we always sat down to dinner together. But as her children grew and left home, her kitchen became a short-order Diner. When anyone would stop by for a visit, "Are you hungry, let me fix you something to eat," She was probably the best short-order cook in Cuba, Illinois.

"Don't worry, Mom, I had lunch today."

"But it's late; let me fix you something." And always, "I love you, son."

She always worried about her children. No matter how much we tried to assure her we were "ok," even on the telephone, she could pick up the slightest nuance in our voice and ask, "Do you have a cold? Are you feeling ok?"

We also witnessed pure joy whenever we returned to France. Mauricette insisted on taking her kids back to visit their Meme and Pepe. I was too young to really recollect vivid memories of them. I didn't even know their full names; Lucienne Marie Fernande Percot of Lagord, France, and Roger Jean Francois Bontemps, born in La Rochelle.

However, I remember the last trip to La Rochelle with my Mom in 1983. Once our plane landed in Paris, you could see the lights were turned on. Her posture changed, her facial expressions became animated, she relaxed. She stopped translating and was able to effortlessly express herself in her beautiful native French language. Her youngest brother, Jean-Paul Bontemps, was there to pick us up at the airport. The six-hour drive to Lagord was constant chatter; no English was spoken. It was as if someone had flipped on a switch to a power plant.

When we finally arrived, my uncle, Jean-Paul, looked at me, grinned, and said, "Bienvenue dans ma petite Versailles!" (Welcome to my little palace.) After that long ride, we laughed till we cried.

Her sister (in-law), Josiane, smothered us with big hugs and kisses. Then Mom really kicked into high gear. The chatter never stopped until bedtime, "Bonne Nuit, Patrick," Josiane would say, smothering us with kisses.

Mom always took time before bed to check on me and translate what was happening, what was planned, and who we would visit. Of course, she always spoke in French. With a bewildered look, I would wave my hand in front of her face and say,

"Mom, I can't understand you, English, please."

That frustrated her because I had been born in France; we moved to America when I was two years, six months old, and only spoke French. She would kiss me, "Bonne Nuit, I love you, son."

Just how much my lack of speaking French frustrated her, she never said. During yesterday's reception dinner, following her service, everyone was enjoying family fellowship, and I asked my aunt Charlotte, "What do you remember about when we first arrived in America?"

"Your Mom was very quiet; she only spoke hesitantly in broken English. However, you were angry; your world was turned upside down. You spoke no English; you would hide under Grandma's (her mother's) kitchen table and say, "Fima Pachi!" Mom would catch herself laughing, embarrassed. She translated, "Patrick is saying, leave me alone!"

Much later, Mom finally admitted to me that "fima pachi" really meant, in slang, get off my shit. 

Going through Mom's paperwork, I found the original Western Union Telegram sent to my Grandfather, Lawrence Ball, announcing our arrival at  Midway Airport, Chicago, 10:05 a.m., February 10, 1959.

So many stories, such a wonderful life. "Don't worry, Mom, if it is your time to leave this world and join Dad in heaven, rest assured I love you; we all love you. We will be fine; you've raised your children well. I will miss you deeply."

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...