Skip to main content

What the Cat Heard?

“Para bailar La Bamba -  Para bailar La Bamba . . .”

Podcast - What the Cat Heard . . . 

If you’re reading this post you may recognize the lyrics to the adaptation of the Mexican folk song, La Bamba, released October 18, 1958, by Richie Valens. I’m certain, listening to this tune played on the guitar you would quickly find yourself tapping your toe to the beat. And doing your best to sing along.


Me, I’m still wondering what the cat heard?


Cat lovers out there maybe you can provide some insight. 


While playing the introduction to La Bamba, my cat (Junior), jumps to my shoulders, needles a little, settles in, and meows in my ear. I suppose if he could talk he would say: “Dude, how many times do you have to repeat the same segment to get it right?”

No doubt, his comments might be a lot more entertaining than listening to me attempt this catchy tune on my guitar.

Allow met to set the stage. Every morning I strap on my guitar, check the tuning, and begin to practice. For flexibility, first its a series of warmup finger exercises: gliding across frets through all six strings, up and down the neck. Then the pentatonic scales, major and minor chords (E-F-C-Am-D). Next sliding up and down the neck attempting to repeat the chords with barre chords. Now granted, I’m not as efficient with barre chords yet but with the light touch of the Tele, I’m making excellent progress.


Well, about the time I break off to play the intro to this song Jr. decides he’s not getting enough attention and jumps to my shoulders. He shifts positions a couple of times then settles with his head against my right ear and wants to be petted.


“Ok, ok, I’ll scratch behind your ear, just sit still please.” 


All the while his tail whipping back and forth slapping me up-side the head as if in rhythm to what I’m playing.


This goes on until I shift positions to flip the page on the music stand. Then Jr. jumps down, sits on my keyboard, and proceeds to stare directly at me as if to say, “Have you settled down yet?”


I relent, tip my shoulder a little and he immediately resumes his position on my shoulders, purring in my right ear.


Now for those of you learning guitar, I really do not recommend the technique of having a 15-pound cat on your shoulders as you practice.


Granted, over the past three years, Jr. has heard me butcher many tunes I’ve attempted to play.


So, I guess I’m still wondering, “What the cat heard?” 


This is Patrick Ball, thanks for listening, see you in the next episode.    

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...