Skip to main content

Practiced Fingers

You CAN teach an ole' dog new tricks.

It amazes me that I still hear the platitude, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.”

Really? People continue to use it as excuse for not being able to successfully learn or even attempt a new skill to their satisfaction or expectation. Agreed, learning a new skill is challenging. Let’s be honest, it’s downright hard. Well, I’m here to say that learning a new skill is not a bag of tricks and humans are not dogs. It’s simply a discipline that’s driven by a “want to” passion.

It’s been over one year now and I’m having more fun than ever exploring the world of music with my Fender guitar . . .

You see, in my experience, to remain young at heart, curious, and active, life is about learning and teaching new skills. The emotional and physical rewards are simply undeniable. And if I might add practically unexplainable, but let’s try.

Almost daily I meet customers at Home Depot who say to me, “No one teaches you how to be retired, I find myself lost for something to do.” Why? Have they lost their childlike enthusiasm for curiosity? Don’t they realize that teaching yourself new skills throughout life is what life is all about?

Retirement is not about finding something to do, it’s about doing what you’ve  always dreamed of doing but were afraid to try or lacked the time. Everything I’d listened to or read kept encouraging me; dare to dream to re-invent yourself go back to what you loved as a child. It’s never too late to learn something new. So, I did. Every morning I practice guitar. First it’s as simple as warming up your fingers; E Blues Scale, G Major Scale, or simply run the complete neck of the guitar over three octaves. Forwards and backwards. Then it’s practicing the transition between chords, F, G, D, C, and E in time.

I challenge you to try it sometime.

Little by little - by watching lessons on YouTube, trying out new blues riffs, strumming patterns, and playing (or should I say stumbling) through songs that have always moved me - melodic sounds began to ring from my guitar. Every breakthrough an epiphany almost magical.

Face the facts there comes a time when you, once again, like it or not, must adopt the *student mentality. Not because you’re expected to - because you have the desire to want to. No pressure, no grades, no criticism, no shit.

Granted it’s still early in my guitar learning curve. I can almost play something that resembles music.  Last week I purchased my first music book with complete songs. Magically I’m working out the songs in that book. It's a challenge. I'm engaged. And it's loads of fun! I’ll need a few more months before I debut on stage with my Fender Stratocaster.

No tricks - just consistent practiced fingers, balanced with relaxed, enjoyable, daily practice.

*Student: One who studies, an attentive systematic participant. A person formally engaged in learning a new skill. The key word here is engaged. This means dedication to daily practice. No matter what skill you are trying to master.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...