Skip to main content

Dare to Dream

“Its more than a feeling, when I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling). I begin dreaming”. . . .

Allow me to set the stage for you. Bradley University, Saturday night, 1977, Peoria, Illinois, the rock band Boston had just released their first album the previous year titled “Boston.” I wore that album out, playing it repeatedly. When Boston played that night on stage, it was magic. We were there! Musician and mechanical engineer Tom Scholz was the first to recreate the exact sound of their hit album live. We were impressed. I fell in love once again with the art of playing the guitar.

So, 40 years later, I’m playing the intro licks to Boston’s most famous song, More Than A Feeling. Sounds a little crazy at my age, but this year Santa finally brought what I’ve always wanted: an electric guitar. “Santa knows; he always knows.” It’s a beauty. A Fender Sunburst Stratocaster. Well, technically, it’s a Squire made by Fender, but who cares - it’s magnificent. And sounds great!

What brought all this to mind, you ask? When I finally decided it was time to stop dreaming and start playing, I grabbed my acoustic guitar, gathered dust in my office, delivered it to Buffalo Brothers Guitars, now defunct, replaced the strings, and adequately set up. And started teaching myself how to play. I wasn’t getting any younger.

When I think back, my first guitar was plastic. A toy, not a “real” guitar. I must have been eight or nine years old. Like most children of the 1960s, we watched cartoons; remember Quick Draw McGraw? For those not familiar, Quick Draw McGraw (El Kabong) used his guitar to battle dastardly villains by clubbing them with it. KABONG . . . he would yell. Subsequently, my guitar was used to imitate El Kabong. This broken guitar ended up in the toy box, never to be played again.

You see, this year has been about reinventing myself. What better way to start than to do something I’ve always dreamed of doing but was afraid to try. Let’s just say, musically, I’d chosen to fail. Everything I’d read kept encouraging me; dare to dream, reinvent yourself, and go back to what you loved as a child. It’s never too late to learn something new. So, I did. Every morning I began practicing. At first basic chords, man, was that tough. And rather boring. I struggled to play some Buddy Holly songs. Simple enough, three cords and a few short licks. Not so. It took me six months to develop the strength and coordination to play a G chord with consistent results. Try it sometime. I needed some inspiration.  

I would love to say it was Buddy Holly on the Ed Sullivan show on January 26, 1958, that inspired me to play the guitar, but at that time, my family and I were still living in LaRochelle, France. My first real memory of the exciting sound of the guitar was listening to the album; Please Please Me by the Beatles. I was seven years old. Oh, by the way, the first song the Beatles recorded was That’ll Be The Day, by Buddy Holly. Little did I realize how much of an influence Buddy Holly would become.

On a whim, Lori and I went to Corona, California, to visit the Fender factory. We toured the factory to witness firsthand how the famous Stratocaster, now 60 years old, was made. The visitor center displayed photos and guitars of prominent players who had played a Fender. Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Dick Dale, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Jimi Hendrix. When you enter the factory store, immediately on your left is a life-size photo of Buddy Holly and his original 1958 Sunburst Stratocaster that he made famous on the Ed Sullivan Show. That was an exciting day for me. After the tour, we stopped in the demo room and strummed a few chords on an American Standard 60th Anniversary Stratocaster. What an incredibly light action. It was so easy to play. I’d been practicing. Maybe, someday I could play real music. 

Since our visit to Fender, I’ve practiced chords daily, studied music theory, played some Buddy Holly songs, watched live musicians play, and listened to some fantastic guitar work by Chet Atkins, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Tommy Emmanuel. I’m retraining my brain and my fingers. It’s a high I never dreamed possible. I may never play before an audience, but the satisfaction of taking a piece of music and strumming it out on my new Fender is genuinely a dream come true.

So my reading friends, dare to dream, reinvent yourself, and return to what you loved as a child. It’s never too late to learn something new. You just might surprise yourself.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

“I looked out this morning, and the sun was gone 
Played some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes, and I slipped away”. . . Boston.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...