Skip to main content

Magic Words

“It is our attitude toward life that determines life's attitude towards us.”

I must have been about nine when that quote first entered my subconscious, growing up in Cuba, Illinois. My family’s morning breakfast routine was to listen to Earl Nightingale’s daily five-minute radio program, “Our Changing World,” on the local radio station: “WBYS - AM and FM—Canton, Illinois.” That jingle vividly echoes in my mind.

Nightingale’s deep, resonant voice captivated my imagination. Little did I know that program would have such a profound impact on my thinking. Subsequently, Earl Nightingale shared many profound quotes that have influenced my life.

“Your attitudes and expectations are a merciless reflection of you.”

I’m proud to say that I’m a life-long learner. A student of the game of life.

Almost 50 years later I still start my day with this positive daily routine. Set aside time just to listen, read, and reflect. All these years I’ve read and listened to many authors and speakers with a twist on the same message.

“We become what we think about, but the thinking is up to us.” - Earl Nightingale

Another author that deeply influenced me was Zig Ziglar. He said.

“If there is hope in the future, there is power in the present.”

It’s been my experience that the message in a quote is not always clearly received. For example, did you know that a positive attitude won’t allow you to do everything. But it will allow you to do what you do better.

I love to play golf. Now I’m miles, no, more like light-years away from a professional career in the sport. It’s early Saturday morning, a cool pleasant clear southern California day ahead. With an enthusiastic attitude and hope I load up my golf clubs make my way to the golf course. Listen carefully, I want to let you in on a little secret. A golfer hopes and dreams to someday shoot their age. 

For you non-golfers let’s use an executive course, par 56, to illustrate my example.  In my world, if you can shoot par you’ve done extremely well. This course has 18 holes. Each hole is a par three, there are two par fours. This means it should take a competent golfer, on average, three shots to sink the ball per hole. Professionals in the game would call this a retirees’ course.

My positive approach to every game is this; watch the ole’ timers carefully. Relax, smooth easy swings, and let the club work for you. This game is bound to be better than my last. With a few lessons, I’ve now become a decent ball striker and can shoot my age almost every outing . . . within the first eleven holes. Yes, you’re allowed to laugh.

Now, I’m here to tell you that when I step up to that first tee the most positive attitude in the world doesn’t guarantee that I’ll shoot a 56. Golf is a game of practice, skill, patience, and luck.

Regardless of what you’ve heard, golf is a fun game. Do I get discouraged? Well, honestly, Yes. But there are two magic words that keep me coming back to play, I used them throughout this example. Did you catch them? They are attitude and hope.

Hope that my next round will produce a better score. A positive attitude and high expectation get’s me to the golf course. And the challenge of improving my skill level is the rationale for continuing to play this illusive game.

“Hope is the foundational quality of ALL change.” - Alfred Adler.

Yes, words have a powerful influence on your performance. And the two most magic words in the dictionary are attitude and hope. Ask yourself, how have these words affected your performance as a student in the game of life?

So you’re next question is; What can I do now to change my attitude? Begin to act as though you have a good, positive, expectant attitude. Zig says it so well, “You must be before you can do. And you must do before you can have.”

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...