Skip to main content

Discipline

Main Street, Cuba, Il.
Allow me to share a story with you. You see, 2014 is the 40th year anniversary of Cuba High School’s class of 1974. My class. You’ve all heard the tiresome cliche, “Times flies.” Well, it does. No kidding! While going through scanned photos of my High School year books, I was transported back in time . . .

“You know how this goes,” said my sixth grade teacher. “Face the chalk board, feet spread apart, bend over, hands on the desk - sssmaaack as the paddle hit its mark on my hind-side. 

Honestly, I don’t even remember what this paddling was for. But I do remember the sting, and the embarrassment I felt standing in front of the class. No, I wasn’t the only one. Like all schools we had our share of misfits. In our small, rural farming community of west central Illinois I’m happy to report there was no teen violence, no shootings, and no serious vandalisms. Well, ok, we did tend to torment the local policeman, who we dubbed Barney Fife. A group of us would hide behind Mr. Welch’s garden fence on Main Street and throw leftover rotted tomatoes as “Barney” drove by. Anyway . . . 

During those formative grade school years, 1965-1967, the sting of Mr. Tarter’s paddle was a regular occurrence. The entire grade school feared this disciplinarian. His paddle was prominently displayed for all to see. Now that I think about it, I can’t remember any girls getting the paddle. Oh well, I’m sure we deserved it. We were told repeatedly:

“No running in the halls.”

“Stop shooting spit-wads at each other.”

“Do not throw snowballs at the girls.”

“No sliding on the ice,” and many other boneheaded activities that only the boys always got into. Yes, we can laugh about this now but back then this was serious stuff. The principle always sent a note home with the student who received discipline. I remember many classmates in tears, more afraid of the note and what their parents would do than the paddling itself.

We received paddling because we were rebellious. In our school discipline was never administered out of anger or loss of control. I recently read that a 1995 government report from Sweden found that child abuse and teen violence actually increased dramatically after spanking was outlawed in that country.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. I’ve been working on a Powerpoint presentation for my graduating class’s 40th year reunion. It’s more of a tribute really. My High School class of 1974 graduated with a whopping 60 students. Ten percent of those classmates have now passed on. Two just this past August.

Have you ever taken time to really examine those photos from the past? Or looked at what your community involvement was during those developmental years? After reviewing the documented facts, I’ve noticed that my recall of activities and events may be a little blurry. However, from the yearbook photos I’m able to quickly identify all of my classmates. Thankfully, my memory is still somewhat intact. Then I go to our class’s FaceBook forum and I’m startled, Who are these people?

You know you’re getting older when you compare your high school photo to what you see in the mirror every morning and wonder, Who is that? Scary.

Well, I need to quit rambling and get back to that PowerPoint presentation I promised - discipline. I’m sure Mr. Tarter won’t be there to paddle me if I don’t follow instructions or complete my assigned task. However, the discipline he established, in me, drives me to finish what I begin, with pride.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...