Skip to main content

Worlds Tallest Tower

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
An image of a turquoise door popped-up on my computer screen, [Incoming video from 1740 Tsavorite Lane]. Magically, his front door opened and Hercule Peridot appeared on my monitor. As always, he was impeccably dressed; a fine silk vest, and dashing gold necktie. His lean, congenial, smiling face radiating from my screen.

Sensationnel, how in the world does he do it? I thought. He is always dressed to the T.

“Adamas Bontemps, how are you my boy?”

“I’m better than ever Peridot, and you?”

“Fine, absolutely splendid. Have you considered the trip to Dubai?”

“Yes, I’ve been reminiscing about my last adventure there.”

“Your thoughts?” asked Peridot.

“You mentioned visiting a Pearl dealer but . . . ” I hesitated a moment, “I’m wondering?”

“Yes?”

“Have you made plans for our accommodations yet? I asked.”

“Well, interesting that you ask.” said Peridot. “I’ve narrowed it down to three possible hotels; The Emirates Tower, The Burg Khalifa, or The Burj Al Arab. Do you have a preference?”

“That’s quite a sophisticated range of choices.” I said.

“Only the best - retirement suits me well,” said Peridot.

I could see Peridot pour a glass of wine from a small carafe his desk. Settling into his luxurious leather office chair, he took a sip of wine, dabbed his mustache with a napkin, cleared his throat and began; “Are you aware of the provenance of these particular hotels?”

Short on time, I quickly responded before Peridot could launch into one of his extended lectures. 

“As a matter of fact I’ve visited two of your three choices; The Burj Al Arab, and The Emirates Tower. They are magnificent!”

It was early evening, the conversation with my colleague about visiting Dubai to examine Pearls had piqued my interest. My last trip to the Emirates of Dubai had been over eight years ago.

While tapping my chin, I wondered just how much Dubai had changed?

Instinctively I grabbed my phone and engaged Siri, “What is the Burj Khalifa?” I asked.

“Let me think about that.” was her response.

“This is what I found.” said Siri. Within seconds my iPhone displayed the following; 

Burj Khalifa (2,717 feet)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
163 floors
Construction cost $4 billion (U.S. Dollars)
Completion Date, January 2010.

With a quick motion, my office chair rolled to the bookshelf behind me. Scanning the titles I pulled the book Emirates Towers. My last trip to Dubai I was invited to visit a dear friend who worked for a diamond consortium. His office was in the Emirates Towers, completed in 2000. Decidedly one of the most stunning architectural highlights of the Dubai skyline. At that time it was the tenth tallest hotel in the world at 1,0000 feet; now ranked 61st.

To provide some perspective; One World Trade Center in New York stands 1,792 feet tall. The Willis Tower, formerly the  Sears Tower is 1,450 feet. The Empire State Building at 1,250 feet. Wow, the Burj Khalifa is over twice the height of the Empire State Building.

With a melancholy expression on my face I smiled as I examined the souvenir Emirates Tower shaped key that sat on my desk.

“How things have changed.”

Peridot’s voice brought me back to the present. “Splendid, that settles it then, we will stay in what is now the Worlds Tallest Tower - The Burg Khalifa. Pack your things my boy, next week we leave for Dubai!”

To be continued . . . 

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...