Skip to main content

Pearl Partners

I've never known my friend to be in better form, both mentally and physically, than after we returned from our adventure in Hawaii. 

Hercule Peridot, like all great artists lived for arts’ sake, the chase. His mental acuity was heightened when engaged in the science of deduction or traveling the world to renew old friendships. His reputation as a gem expert and personal shopper was growing even more quickly from the blog posts of our adventures that apparently were capturing the attention of many gem enthusiasts.

I’m Adamas Bontemps. Peridot and I had returned home a few weeks ago and I was back to my early morning routine - chronicling our travels. This morning, while tickling the keys on my computer, I received a FaceTime notification to chat. An image of a turquoise door appeared on my screen, [Incoming video from 1740 Tsavorite Lane]. It was Peridot.

Magically, the front door opened and Peridot appeared on my computer screen. He was impeccably dressed; a fine silk vest, and dashing green necktie. His lean, congenial, smiling face radiating from my screen.

“Bontemps, this blog that you insist on posting has yielded some interesting prospects.”

“How do you mean?” I asked.

He leaned back in office chair and with excitement in his manner said, “We've been retained to locate and purchase a strand of rare natural Pearls. I've been studying a recently published book, Splendor and Science of Pearls and have an itch to visit an old colleague of mine from Dubai.”

“Why Dubai?” I asked.

“The Arabian Gulf of course.” he said.

He took a sip of his coffee, dabbed his mustache with a napkin, cleared his throat and began; “From your gemological studies you may remember the Arabian Gulf is the most important source of natural pearls; pearling began there almost 3000 years ago and it is estimated that 70 to 80 percent came from that region until at least the 1930s. Unfortunately, over the years with over fishing and stress on the oceans, the environment for natural pearls has deteriorated.”

“Yes, wasn't it Kokichi Mikimoto of Japan who developed a technique in 1905 to implant a bead in a Mollusk to create cultured pearls?” I asked. “Isn't it a fact that the pearl business today is dominated by cultured pearls?”

“You are correct. However, in an attempt to reclaim its heritage, the emirate of Dubai has set aside some pristine waters to cultivate pearls as Mother Nature does. In nature, a mollusk forms a pearl as a defense mechanism against a foreign body that becomes longed inside the mantle. In the Persian Gulf they have creating conditions for Mollusks to grow pearls spontaneously, much like they were produced in the past.”

“So, what do you propose?” I asked.

“I have a friend in Dubai, a Pearl dealer, I don't believe you've met him.” said Peridot. “He is an amiable fellow with a wealth of knowledge on the Pearl business, I will give him a call.”

“Who would that be?” I asked.

With a rather exuberant smile, Peridot said. “Oh, you will like him, he is well connected and respected in the Pearl trade. You've heard me mention him before in passing, my good friend Benjamin, or as he is affectedly known in the trade - Buck Nacre . . .

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...